27. The positive

"How are you feeling?" Ava asked as I woke up

"Better, just tired." I said.

It was true. The pain was better and the bruising was starting to heal. The main issue was how I was doing mentally. The nightmares kept me up most nights and even when I was awake all I saw was Elliot and his face contorted with fury.

"Did you want something to eat? Your mom made waffles this morning for Harlan and Kieran." She told me.

The thought of the two guys eating breakfast together cheered me up a bit. I was glad that the two of them seemed to be getting along. I wasn't totally delusional to think they were friends but they seemed better than enemies.

"I'm not that hungry." I shrugged.

"Want to watch a movie? Or reruns of new girl?"

I knew Ava was trying to help but it felt strange now after a week of her basically avoiding me. I knew Kieran was having the same issue with Nate. Something was going on with best friends lately and I really needed to figure out what was going on with mine.

"Can you tell me why you've been acting weird and avoiding me? I missed my best friend this past week."

"I missed you too." She grabbed my hand and squeezed it slightly.

Ava was one of the most important people to me and it hurt to not have her around as much.

"So why have you been acting weird? Did I do something?" I questioned.

"No it is not about you. It's all me, I just needed space I guess. I was going through some stuff and you know how I am. I always think I can handle it all on my own."

"I'm your best friend. Whenever you need help that's what I'm here for." I assured her.

"It complicated I guess because you aren't just my best friend but also Harlan's sister." She said refusing to look at me.

I had a feeling it had something to do with my brother. I loved them both so much. I couldn't imagine my life without either of them but if Ava needed me to be team Ava right now I would. I would support my best friend no matter what.

"You can tell me anything. Right now I'm your best friend not Harlan's sister. I'm here to support you and if that means listening to you rant about how much of an idiot Harlan is than that's what I'm here to do. "

"I want to hate him, I really do but it's hard when I'm in love with him." She confessed.

"Love?" I say there shocked.

I never knew for sure about Ava's feelings for my brother. I had a feeling something was going on but I guess I didn't expect it to be love.

"It's ridiculous right? To be in love with a guy that doesn't love you back. I guess I thought if I was alone for a bit and stayed away from him then maybe the feelings would just disappear. Unfortunately that didn't seem to happen. He's all I think about Jade, no matter how hard I try it's useless. I'm setting myself up for heartbreak and I can't even stop it. What kind of idiot does that?" She frowned.

I could tell it upset her and that she'd been dealing with a lot more than she let on. To watch the person you love not feel the same, I couldn't imagine how I'd feel. If the roles were reversed and I had to watch as Kieran didn't feel the same and watch as he flirted with other girls. It would break me.

"You aren't an idiot. You are just in love." I told her.

"We'll love sucks." Ava feel back onto the bed and stared up at the ceiling.

"How do you know he doesn't feel the same? You're the best person I know, anyone would be an idiot not to be in love with you." I said trying to cheer her up.

It wasn't out of the question that Harlan could have feelings for Ava. I saw how they were together, there definitely was a chance. It was hard to know with Harlan though. He flirted with just about anything with legs so when he flirted with Ava it didn't mean that he had feelings.

"Even if he had feelings they are more like feelings of attraction and I refuse to be just another one of those girls he leads on and then ditches. I'd never be able to recover from something like that. It's better this way to just wait until my feeling fade or maybe just decide to be alone for the rest of my life as I watch Harlan jump from girl to girl."

I knew how hard it was for Ava, I knew how my brother was. After Stephanie broke his heart he never truly recovered. He refused to let himself be in a relationship like that again, to feel the way he did about her with someone else.

"You'll find someone, don't beat yourself up about it. You're amazing and it won't be long until someone sees that."

"You're the best." Ava smiled and wrapped her arms around me softly making sure to not cause me any additional pain.

"Just don't push me away ok? I understand that with me comes Harlan but just be honest with me. I'd be happy to ditch my brother for an afternoon if it means spending time with my best friend." I said.

"We should have a girls weekend at the end of the week. Sleepover, ice cream, and movies. All the best things." She beamed.

"That sounds perfect." I agreed.

Our usual girls weekend usually consisted of that plus sneaking out to go to a party somewhere but after everything that happened I was glad to leave that part out.

"I'll get us something fun to drink, maybe those lemonades you like." Ava winked.

A night in with some drinks and movies seemed like a great idea. Something to start the the next week off right.

I wasn't going to let the last week ruin my mood. I'd find the positive even if it seemed impossible.

A/n:

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!!

-Cora Leigh