21. The greatest of friends

I lugged myself out of bed

I lugged myself out of bed. My head throbbed slightly, the morning after was never great. I hadn't even planned on drinking that much. But when Ava showed up with alcohol and then Harlan invited Jaxon over, a chill night of a few drinks and a movie turned into something much more.

At the thought of Ava I scanned my room to try to find her. I had stumbled to bed before her but I had thought she'd find her way into my room at some point. But when I came up with an empty room I decided to go and search for her.

I went down to the living room to see Jaxon passed out on the couch. Since Ava wasn't in my room I had thought she'd be on the couch but she was nowhere.

I grabbed a pillow and threw it at Jaxon. It seemed to startle him awake and his eyes snapped open.

"What?" He groaned covering his eyes with his hands.

"Where are my brother and Ava?" I asked.

"How am I supposed to know? I've been sleeping?" Jaxon sat up to look at me.

"You guys are up." My mom stepped in from the kitchen.

"Mom." My eyes went wide and then I turned to look at the living room which still held our empty bottles.

"I see you weren't expecting me home." She grinned.

"I thought you were doing an overnight shift." I explained.

"No I switched with one of the other nurses since she needed me to cover her tonight and I didn't want to do two overnights in a row."

I nodded in understanding.

"Are we totally screwed?" I questioned.

"No one drove themselves home so I'm not mad but you and Harlan will clean all this up and I don't want this to be a habit that I come home to people passed out on my couch." She looked at Jaxon.

"Sorry Ms. Shepard." Jaxon looked down at his hands.

"Go wake your brother up Jade, we are having breakfast." My mom shooed me away.

I didn't hesitate as I rushed back up to the rooms and pushed Harlan's open.

I was expecting Harlan to be passed out in bed and while he was sleeping but was also not alone.

"Oh my god!" I yelled out in surprised and slammed the door back shut.

I was having an internal panic. What exactly happened last night? We were all really drunk, could my brother have taken advantage of my best friend? That would never happen, Harlan wouldn't do that. I knew my brother well enough to know that he wouldn't go there if a girl was not in their right mind. And I remembered how out of it Ava was last night.