12. Breaking your hand

I woke up to the feeling of nonstop buzzing

I woke up to the feeling of nonstop buzzing. I wiped at my eyes and ignored the fact they were unbelievably puffy and my face felt gross covered in dried tears. I pulled my phone out of my pocket to see my brothers name on my screen. I just let the call go to voicemail and that's when I saw that I had about twenty missed calls from him.

I looked around trying to find Kieran. I remembered falling asleep in his arms but now I was alone on his couch.

I stood up just as my phone started to ring again. I ignored it again and went in search of my boyfriend.

It only took a few minutes to hear the loud music coming from his garage. I opened the door to see him shirtless punching the punching bag quite aggressively.

"You're going to hurt yourself." I called out to him.

His hands were at least wrapped up but I knew that was not nearly enough protection to save his knuckles from being hurt.

"I know what I'm doing," he slammed his fist into the bag one last night causing the whole thing to swing wildly.

"And what exactly are you doing?" I questioned.

"Channeling my anger." He wiped at the beads of sweat on his forehead and walked towards me.

"Maybe find a way to channel that doesn't include breaking your hand?" I offered him a small smile.

"You worry too much." He wrapped his arms around me and pulled me in.

No matter what, being in his arms made me feel safe. He made me feel like nothing bad could happen.

I felt my phone buzzing again. I knew my brother would probably never stop until I answered. Jaxon probably told him I literally ran out of the school and disappeared.

"You should answer your phone." Kieran kissed my forehead and then went to go turn off his music.

I sighed, I knew he was right.

"Hey what's up?" I answered trying to make it seem as if nothing was wrong.

"Really? I've been calling you for hours. I've been worried sick, I called Ava and went by her house, I went to all your normal hang out places. Where the hell are you?" He ranted out.

"Calm down I'm fine, I just needed to clear my head for a bit."

"Jade, I know ok? I know he's back and when I couldn't find you I just-, please just come home." He sounded so defeated.

"Yeah I'm on my way."

I didn't want to talk about this, going home meant facing Harlan. And Harlan would want to talk about it. Kieran doesn't know, I don't need to talk about it when I'm with him I can just escape it all.

"Ok see you soon, I love you."

"Love you too." I smiled.

But despite not wanting to be around him at this moment I knew I had to. Avoiding going home was hurting him and I didn't want to hurt him.

"You're leaving?" Kieran asked.

"Yeah I should get home." I nodded.

"I was hoping we could talk, when can I see you next?" He reached out and grabbed both my hands pulling me closer to him.

"Tomorrow after school?" I suggested.

"Our usual spot?"

I nodded. Kieran and I spent most of our time in the parking lot of the hiking trail on the edge of town. No one really went there and it was a good spot for us to park and hang out.

Kieran dropped my hands, cupped both my cheeks and rested his forehead against my own.

"I'm sorry, I just wanted to say that before you left. I was a jerk yesterday with your brother and you deserve better than that. I'm trying to be better for you but I keep letting you down."

"I'm not mad at you for that. Am I upset that people are saying I'm your whore? Yes but that's not on you. We'll figure out a way to end those stupid rumors and everything will be fine." I smiled at him.

"You're everything to me." He whispered before pressing his lips against mine.

He was everything to me too.

"Thank god you're here!" Harlan wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a hug.

"I'm fine you don't need to worry about me."

"Can I have the keys to the car?" He asked.

I stepped back and looked at him with surprise. That wasn't exactly what I was expecting.

"Why? Where do you need to go?" I questioned.

He looked like he was up to something. I didn't like that at all.

"I just have something to do, you need to stay here and don't even think about leaving. Now keys." He held out his hand waiting for the keys.

"What do you have to do?" I pressed.

"Jade just give me the keys." He stepped closer to me a look of determination on his face.

I looked at the time to see that it was about half an hour before school ended. I had a feeling I knew where Harlan was headed.

"No, I don't want you doing what I think you're going to do." I shook my head.

"I don't want to do this Jade but if you don't give me the keys then I'll just take them from you."

"If you leave to go after Elliot I'll never speak to you again." I threatened.

"I have to do this, I told him if he ever stepped foot in this town again I'd kill him. Who would I be if I didn't stay true to my word?"

I wanted to cry, I had cried enough today but the thought of my brother getting hurt scared the shit out of me.

"Please Harlan don't." I gripped onto his arm hoping he'd listen to me.

"I'm sorry sis, I really am." He gave me a small smile before grabbing my arm tightly keeping me in place while his other hand went for my pocket where the keys were.

I didn't bother stopping him. I knew it was helpless. He'd go no matter what I said.

If something happened to him, it would be all my fault. But even still I just stood there and watched as he stormed out the door.

A/n:

This chapter for some reason always makes me sad when I read it back through. Something about sibling relationships really hit me in my feelings.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!!

-Cora Leigh