11. Sick nightmare

I didn't love going to school without my brother there

I didn't love going to school without my brother there. But with both him and Kieran being suspended for the rest of the week and benched for the first game of the season for their fight, I was stuck driving in on my own.

I would miss Kieran but it wasn't like we got to hang out all that often during the school day anyway. When I walked to my first period class I felt sad to be sitting there without Harlan.

I didn't really talk to any of Harlan's friends without my brother there. So sitting with Jaxon without my twin felt uncomfortable. I had to tell myself it was fine and that it would be worse to go and sit somewhere else.

I plopped into the seat and Jaxon turned and gave me a small smile. He didn't say anything just turned back to his phone that was resting on his desk.

I was content with the silence between us so I pulled my own phone out to see a text from Kieran.

I'm bored... come see me at lunch??

I shook my head even though he couldn't actually see me. Kieran knew that I couldn't leave during lunch to go see him, he asked quite a bit though. He never acted surprised when I said no but sometimes I wish I could surprise him and say yes instead.

You know I can't do that, I'll see you once school gets out.

I had the car since Harlan was suspended so I had a little bit of time before I needed to get home.

I felt the buzz of my phone and I went to go check it but the sound of my teachers voice stopped me.

"Alright everyone, phones away." She said gathering up everyone's attention.

"So we are going to start today's class with going over the homework." She rounded her desk to pull up the homework on the board.

The door of the classroom pushed open.

"Sorry I'm late."

My whole body froze, I knew that voice. I couldn't move in my seat. I wanted to get up, to run but I just sat there and stared at the boy standing at the front of the classroom.

"It's fine Elliot, just take that empty seat over there." The teacher pointed to a seat on the other side of the classroom and I felt a tiny bit of relief flood through me.

I think I'd go into a full panic if she had pointed to Harlan's seat. My hands were shaking and I could barely focus as the teacher resumed what she was talking about.

"Hey." Jaxon leaned over Harlan's desk to get my attention.

I didn't turn to look at him, I just tried to continue to breathe, maybe if I just focused on that everything would be ok.

"Jade." I felt a hand on my arm and I immediately jerked away from it.

I sprung out of my seat and looked to see Jaxon wide eyed and his hands up in a surrender.

I grabbed my bag and rushed from the room not bothering to stop when my teacher called out to me.

I couldn't be here, tears blurred my vision as I ran through the hall towards the exit. My whole body felt numb, I felt like I was in some sort of sick nightmare.

Kierans POV:

I looked at the time for what felt like the millionth time. First period wouldn't even be over yet. It would still be hours before school ended and I got to hang out with Jade. I wished I could do more for her, she deserved someone she could be out in public with. But I was selfish and greedy, I just couldn't let her go.

I jumped at the sound of pounding on my front door. Who the hell was that? I couldn't even come up with one possibility as I made my way to the door. When I swung it open I stood there shocked.

"What are you doing here? First period isn't even over yet." I frowned looking at my girlfriend.

She just shrugged and shot me a quick smile. It was the smile that gave her away. It wasn't her usual bright smile, it was forced and her eyes looked sad.

"What's wrong." I reached out to bring her close to me but she immediately backed away as if on reflex.

I dropped my hand and didn't make another move to try to comfort her.

"Sorry." She said softly looking down at her hands.

"You want to come in?" I stepped to the side giving her plenty of space to walk past me.

She silently stepped into my house. I wanted to know what was wrong but I didn't want to force her to tell me. She'd talk to me when she was ready. I wanted to be there for her and I wanted her to feel comfortable enough to open up to me. I've known that there are things she keeps from me. The Tuesday's after school she tells me she's with Ava but I see Ava watching practice. I trust Jade so I never pushed her for the truth, nor did I ever tell her I knew she was lying.

"I'm sorry to just show up." She sighed as she sat down on my couch.

"You can show up whenever you want, I'm here for you." I sat down next to her leaving a good six inches between us.

I wanted to reach out, to show her I was here but after she backed away I wanted to wait for her to come to me first.

When I looked at her face again there were tears in her eyes. She was obviously not ok. I moved a little bit closer to her, if I just moved my arm out I could pull her into my arms.

The first point of contact between us was made by her. She leaned her head against my shoulder and it was enough for me to wrap my arm around her and pull her in.

The second I did, I felt the shake of her shoulders as she started to cry. Something had happened, someone made her upset. I tried not to get mad but I wanted to end her pain and if someone actually made her this way I didn't know how I'd stop myself if I ever saw them.

A/n:

Sorry it's been so long... I got busy with finals but now that it's over I'm going to try to stick with consistent uploads.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and if you did don't forget to comment and vote!!

-Cora Leigh