29. Love birds

Kieran was looking through the first floor and I had decided to check upstairs for Ava

Kieran was looking through the first floor and I had decided to check upstairs for Ava. I would break down every door to find my best friend and make sure she was ok.

I jiggled the handle to Kieran's door to find it surprisedly unlocked. I knew he sometimes locked it to keep people out when he threw parties. I pushed the door open and immediately shut it again.

It was not Ava in that room. I stared at the closed door in shock. I guess I figured out why Nate had ditched Kieran. I just continued to stand there frozen in place. I think I had been stunned into silence.

"Find her?" I turned quickly to see Kieran behind me.

"Umm- N-no." I stuttered.

"Why are you acting so weird?" He eyed me strangely.

He went to walk around me to his room and I quickly stepped into his path stopping him.

"No reason, she's not in there. Definitely nothing to see behind this door." I was definitely not selling the whole casual thing.

I was an awful liar.

"Of course not, it's locked." He stepped around and tried the knob to find it unlocked.

He pushed the door open before I could stop him.

"Oh." He stood there just as surprised as I was.

I mean seeing Nate with Stephanie was definitely surprising.

"Oh hey Kieran." Nate smiled stepping in front of Stephanie as if we hadn't already seen her.

It only took a second for the pieces to put themselves together, Nate was the guy that saved me from Elliot that day.

I stepped forward and wrapped my arms around him tightly.

"Thank you." I didn't need to say anything else he knew what I meant.

"You don't need to thank me." He returned the hug.

I pulled away to see Kieran looking at the two of us with a puzzled expression. I'd catch him up later.

"Come on, leave the two love birds alone." I grabbed Kieran's hand and pulled him out of his room.

"It's my bedroom." He complained.

"Shush." I quieted him.

I returned to my mission of finding Ava and the next place was the upstairs bathroom.

I knocked on the door only to hear sniffles on the other side of the door.

"Ava?" I asked.

The door creaked open and I pulled it open all the way to see her sitting on the floor crying.

My heart sank and I rushed over and wrapped my arms around her. I looked over to the doorway just in time to see Kieran shutting it letting the two of us have some space. I mentally thanked him and pulled Ava closer to me.