Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter 32

Season 5, Episode 20-22

    It's been weeks since Izzie's initial surgery. She's been doing some intense chemo and radiation but her body seems to be responding well for the most part. We all know it's only going to get worse but I'm trying to pay attention to the positive; she's still smiling and walking around. I'm going to hold onto that for as long as I can.

    Another new development is Meredith and Derek are engaged. I honestly saw it coming from a mile away. The timing is actually perfect since Izzie is obsessed with weddings and now has all the time in the world to plan one. It gives her something to do and look forward to other than surgeries and chemo.

    I've been assigned to Izzie's case which I find odd because Bailey made it very clear a week ago that she wanted us to be her friends and not her doctors. I'm not complaining, except for the fact that Bailey draws the line at me operating on her, so the case is a bit of a dead-end surgically.

    She's been planning the wedding all day and I guess the walking around got the best of her because she decided to lie down. I'm sitting at the nurse's station outside of her room when all of a sudden, I hear a monitor start beep erratically. I look up in horror to see that Izzie's monitor has flatlined.

    "Shit! I need a crash cart! Izzie Stevens room!" I run into her room as fast as I can to see her lying in bed unconscious. "Izzie! Izzie!"

    I run over to her body and put my hand to her neck, trying to find a pulse. She can't be dying, I don't understand, she was fine. My fingers manage to find her pulse but when I look at the monitor, it's flatlining. Before I can grab my stethoscope from around my neck I can hear giggling. I look down to see that Izzie is perfectly fine and laughing.

    "What the hell, Izzie?" I yell at her, not understanding the joke.

    "You should see your face right now. It's your totally freaking out face." She laughs, pointing at me as I stand in front of her with my mouth dropped open. A nurse runs into the room with a crash cart and I put my hand up.

    "We don't need that," I say to her before turning back to Izzie. "This is not funny, Iz"

    "I'm sorry." She says with a smile, not sounding sorry at all. "I really did need you, though. I have all these dresses here and I keep trying to page Meredith to try them on, but she won't answer the page. Can you get her?" She explains while putting the little pads back on her chest and connecting the signal, the newfound heart beep starting up again on the monitor.

    "Are you kidding me?" I sigh in annoyance before turning and walking out of the room.

    "Thank you!" She calls out after me just I just swat my hand back towards her. I can hear her laughing all the way down the hall.

    Eventually, I managed to find Meredith and bring her back. It wasn't easy to get her to agree to try on dresses, she's not a white gown bride, but when I told her what Izzie did for attention, she agreed to follow me. We do not need Izzie crying wolf and then actually dying.

    "If I show you the dress, you can never tell anyone, cause it's bad," Meredith yells from the other side of the bathroom door in Izzie's room. She agreed to let Izzie and I see it, but no one else.

    "Fine, it will be our little secret," Izzie says, and after a moment of silence, the door opens. Meredith shuffles out in a huge white gown, practically suffocating her in fabric. It actually looks gorgeous on her, but she doesn't look too thrilled with it.

    "Wow," Izzie says with a grin before holding her phone up and snapping a picture.

    "Photos are not secret!" Meredith exclaims and I have to hold back a laugh. I'm actually enjoying this.