Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter 28

Season 4, Episode 15-17

    The problem with being a surgical resident is that you feel crazy all the time. We go days without sleeping and spend those days around people going through a crisis. We lose our ability to judge what's normal in ourselves and the people around us. All the while, people are constantly asking how we're doing.

    If we could give them an honest answer, chances are we would tell them that we're dying inside. We just want to go home and sleep but the fear of failure is preventing us from closing our eyes.

    My judgement has been off the past few weeks. I've been taking as many shifts as I can and working myself down to the bone. I've been working hard to be a good teacher and a good surgeon all at once. I barely have a life outside the hospital anymore. Not that I ever did before.

    The girl who Alex fell in love with is back in town. After she recovered, she went home to her husband and baby but for some reason, she keeps coming back. I've been ignoring the fact that they're hooking up because it's really not something I want to know.

    The first problem is when she realizes she can't leave her family, it's going to break Alex and I don't want that to happen. The second problem is that she is pregnant and Alex is apparently the father.

    He's been taking care of her for weeks like she's his wife and won't listen to me when I tell him it's messed up. Luckily, Izzie agrees with me but considering she's Alex's ex-girlfriend, there's not much she can do.

    I wake up in an on-call room after a four-hour sleep. My head is pounding and I feel like crap but I get up anyway. I have time to change into new scrubs before making my way to the nurse's station to grab my patient's chart. As I walk down the main staircase I see a familiar figure standing in front of it.

    "Rebecca?" I ask her as I walk up to the desk. She turns to face me with a smile but I don't return it.

"Hi, Audrey!" She greets me cheerfully and I frown, she's been treating me like I'm her sister-in-law these past couple of weeks and it's really starting to piss me off.

"What are you doing here?" I ask and I guess she recognizes my unwelcome demeanour because the smile falls off her face.

"I'm here to see Dr. Sloan." She says and before I can answer, I hear yelling from behind me.

"Rebecca!" Izzie's voice rings through the halls as she walks up to us. "Where have you been? I've left you, like, fifty messages!"

"You seem upset," Rebecca says to her as Izzie comes up beside me.

"First of all, you're not pregnant and Alex has been turning his life upside down to be your baby daddy and I can't tell him because of confidentiality. So, yeah, upset!" She yells at her before suddenly turning and looking at me. "Oh, crap."

"Very confidential, Izzie," I mutter, now bearing information I did not want.

"You can talk to Alex about anything. I want him involved and I am pregnant." Rebecca says calmly and I raise a brow at her.

"Okay, so if you're not trying to trap Alex with a fake pregnancy, you won't mind if I do another test, just to make sure," Izzie says, crossing her arms.

"Trap him? Are you out of your mind? I'm pregnant, and that's a good thing because I want this baby. I've always wanted a baby." Rebecca says and suddenly my head snaps toward her.

"You have a baby," I say and watch as she hesitates for a second.

"Of course I do. I mean I want another one." She corrects herself but I'm not convinced and I don't think Izzie is either when we make eye contact. "Do the stupid test again. It'll be fine. And I need Dr. Sloan."