Chapter Two

Chapter 2

Season 1, Episode 5

    I'd been kept in the ICU for four days to make sure that I didn't have any problems post-op and, by the looks of things, I was going to be okay. I couldn't wait to be up and walking around because I wanted to start working as soon as I could.

Alex would try to stop by and talk to me but every time he did I would tell him to leave. Obviously, I'm going to have to forgive him eventually, he is my brother, but not for a while. I'm going to let him sweat it out for a bit.

    Yesterday I stood up to be moved to a wheelchair to get some scans, but I haven't walked yet. I assume that's what I'm supposed to do as I see two interns walk into my room. I recognize Dr. Yang but I don't recognize the other doctor.

    "Hi, Audrey. We are going to help you get on your feet today." Dr. Yang says looking at my chart before handing it to the other intern a little harshly. He almost drops it but recovers quickly and looks at me a little embarrassed before I smile at him. "This is Dr. O'Malley." She says without looking at him as she walks to my bedside and pulls the sheet off my body.

She holds her hands out to me and I give mine to her. As I start to shift my weight to get off the bed, I wince as I feel a little bit of pressure in my stomach, but it's not as bad as a couple of days ago. I swing my legs over the bed and stop to let out the air I had been holding.

    "Very good. George, can you spot her?" She says, still holding my hands. He comes up beside me and waits for me to stand. I nod at her and she starts to pull on my hands as George grabs my arm for extra support. Once I'm finally standing, he holds his hands at my waist without touching me but close enough that if I fell he would be right there.

    "You're doing really well," George says as I take a couple of steps, I laugh at that.

    "Yeah, not well enough. I need to be running before I can join this program." He looks surprised when I say that.

    "You-you're a surgical intern?" I look at him and nod before we walk over to a chair on the other side of the room and I sit down. Dr. Yang grabs the chart from my bed and starts writing in it while George stays by me.

    "Alex never told us you were-" He starts and suddenly my smile goes away and the walk I just did can't keep me happy.

    "Yeah, Alex doesn't tell people a lot of things," I say sharply and I think he realizes it's a touchy subject because he changes the subject.

    "Well, you want to be a surgeon. That's cool." I can tell he's a little awkward but he seems really nice and I smile again. Hopefully, I can make some friends here.

    "Okay, you did well today. We're going to get you back in bed and you should be discharged tomorrow." Dr. Yang says with a thin-lipped smile that doesn't reach her eyes before walking back up to me and giving me her hands. Grabbing them, I start to stand again, my balance a little better this time as we make our way back to my bed. I let her hands go as I pull myself onto the bed. I have to recover quickly or I won't be able to join the program until too many learning opportunities have passed.

    "We'll check on you later," George says as they walk out of my room leaving me alone yet again.

Every so often, I see people running past my room. All I want is to be running with them to whatever trama or surgery they need to get to. If my dumb brother never sent me that email I wouldn't be here. I wouldn't have been in a car accident and I would be out there watching surgeries.

I take a deep breath before pushing the blanket of my legs and swinging them off the bed. I look outside, only one nurse at the desk and she's looking down. Great. I start to lower my feet to the ground until I'm standing, holding onto the bed for support. I push off and start to walk to the door of my room.