Chapter Thirty-Nine

Chapter 39

Season 6, Episode 9-10

Nothing. There are no thoughts or memories in my brain when I think about last night. There was drinking and a lot of jumbled words from Cristina, but I don't remember most of the party and that terrifies me. I know that Jackson was there which means it is very likely we interacted.

My head is pounding like I just got hit with a truck as I roll over in my bed. I guess I forgot to close my curtains before getting into bed last night because light streams through my window, making it hard to open my eyes. As I move to stand, I realize I'm still wearing my dress from last night. I groan and stand, almost tripping over my heels that were thrown lazily on the floor.

I pull the dress off and throw it in my laundry hamper, walking over to my dresser for some clothes. I need to have a shower to wash off the filth from last night. After washing everything from the night away, I trudge down the stairs to the kitchen where Meredith sits at the counter reading and wearing fresh clothes. She's been reduced to sweats the past couple of weeks but now is wearing jeans and a dressy top.

"Good morning." She says with a smirk and I can't do more than groan at her as I walk over to the coffee pot, my hangover knocking my brain around like a toddler with a hammer. "How'd you sleep?"

"No questions, please," I mumble, pouring the warm liquid into my favourite mug. "I can't compute."

"Well, I have many." She says with a grin as I lean on the counter across from her, cradling my mug in my cold hands, trying to find some comfort. I take a large gulp before nodding.

"Fine, but me first," I say and she leans back, obviously amused. "How did I get back here?"

"You don't remember?" She asks with a laugh and I frown.

"Meredith, I drank half a bottle of vodka in eight minutes," I mutter with a blank face as I drink more of the heavenly drink in my hands.

"Avery brought you back." She states and I nearly spit out a mouthful of coffee all over her. I manage to swallow without choking as her words sink in.

"Ja-Jackson...brought-" I stutter, my hungover brain trying to grasp onto any tangible memory from last night, but I come up empty.

"You were in quite a state." She says and I scrunch my eyes closed in embarrassment.

"D-Did he say anything to you?" I ask her with caution, I'm not sure I even want to know the answer to that question.

"Just that you had been drinking and couldn't have gotten a cab on your own." She says, tilting her head to the side, trying to figure out what I'm thinking. Considering Meredith has been on my end of the hungover conversation more times than either of us can count, she should already know exactly what I'm thinking. I need to know what happened.

"Ugh." I groan, taking another sip of my drink. "You're going back to work today right?"

"Yeah, finally." She says with a grin. I know she's excited to get back to work considering she hasn't had a chance to compete with the Mercy Westers yet. While they can't fire her for lack of OR hours since she's been on recovery leave, she still wants to prove herself.

"Well, have fun. I'll be here." I push myself away from the counter, carrying my mug with me into the living room where I collapse on the couch. I place my mug onto the table in front of me before pulling a blanket around my shoulders.

"Try not to sleep all day." She says, walking over to the front hall and grabbing her coat and bag. I mumble some sort of response as I place my head on a throw pillow, letting my eyes close. I can hear the front door close behind her, leaving the house in comforting silence.