Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter 23

Season 3, Episode 15-17

    Life can change in an instant. It's like one moment everything is fine and a rush of adrenaline makes you forget about everything else. When you finally realize what's happening, your brain can't even comprehend it. It doesn't feel real. That's what most of our patients go through when they find out they're sick or when they die and we have to tell their families. I'm not used to being on the other end.

    "Am I the only one who thinks this triage test is a waste of time?" Alex complains as we get ready in the locker rooms. "There's a platysmaplasty on the board. I had Sloan all prepped to let me scrub in."

    "It's for one day." I reason with him as I pull on my shoes. "We can survive one day."

    "Is it too much to ask to be performing actual surgeries? We are actual surgeons." He continues to complain, slamming his locker closed as I roll my eyes and turn to leave the room. As I pass under the doorframe, I almost bump into Meredith. My mood shifts and move to the side to let her in without saying anything.

    "Hey, Audrey, could we talk-" She starts to say but when I realize she isn't going to pass me, I walk out.

    "How about you just leave me the hell alone." I snap before noticing George walking down the hall. I walk with him to the pit where we find Bailey. With the other residents, she has set up the workshop for us and one by one we participate.

    It's Izzie's turn as we all stand by the wall waiting. I can't tell what she's saying but when Sydney, who is pretending to be the patient, sits up saying she's dead, Izzie gets frustrated before Bailey turns to talk to us.

    "You have to be quick and thorough while using your instincts. You can't be fooled by what your eyes see. If you assess wrong your patient could die while waiting for treatment." She explains. "Karev, you're next." She looks over at Alex and he makes his way over to the gurney.

    "Just think, I've already killed her. You can't do more damage than that." Izzie mutters as she passes him while walking over to us. Her shoulders are slumped as she takes her place beside us. 

    "People, triage is one of the most important tools a doctor has." Bailey continues. "In a real emergent scenario, you'll have only minutes."

    "And it's something you'll be tested on in your surgical ex-" Callie starts to explain but all of a sudden a flashy camera goes off and we turn to see George.

    "Uh, sorry, I was just recording the drill." He says before Callie pulls him away harshly, seemingly pissed off. We all look at each other amused and trying not to laugh.

    "He's in trouble," I mutter under my breath, making Izzie and Cristina laugh. Callie continues to lecture him about something until Bailey finally interrupts.

    "O'Malley, take that back to the clinic where it belongs." She orders and he nods before running off to do what he's told. Just then, Webber walks up to us and we all go silent.

    "People, look, I'm sorry I have to interrupt the session for a moment." He talks but all of our eyes seem to drift up to his head. For some reason, he has dyed his hair dark and I can't seem to put my finger on it but something about it looks odd.

    "Chief, I like your new hair. It really brings out your eyes." Sydney says with a big smile.

    "Do you need something, sir?" Bailey asks unimpressed and he continues.

    "We just received word of a mass casualty incident nearby. All available level one trauma centers have been asked to respond. I need to send a team into the field immediately." He explains.