Chapter Thirty-Seven

Chapter 37

Season 6, Episode 6

Present Time:

I feel like I'm about to drop dead. We've been sitting in these hard, uncomfortable chairs for over an hour; it's currently two in the morning and I haven't eaten or slept in over twenty-four hours. Today has been a literal day from hell and all I want to do is go home and sleep for the next ten years. Granted, if I'm fired, I really can go to sleep and never wake up.

The residents line the hallways, sitting in chairs like school children in detention. I look up from my hands at Cristina who's sitting to my right. Her hand is resting over her mouth, clearly in deep thought. The hallway is dead quiet as the attendings watch over us like hawks. We messed up badly, or at least, one of us did and I know it wasn't me. I just hope they believe me.

"Someone's getting fired." Reed, the pixie cut red-head, says with a sour look on her face. It's been a week since the Mercy West residents got here and I hate them just as much as day one, Reed especially.

"Stop it." April, her friend, the other red-head, says from beside her. She's been sweating like a pig ever since we got here, obviously not used to being in trouble. She sits up straight in her seat, unlike the rest of us who have slouched over, Lexie even has her legs crossed in front of her chest.

"She wasn't even my patient." Charles groans across from me. The Mercy West residents have conveniently sat on the opposite wall from us. Doesn't help the hateful stares we keep shooting at each other.

"What?" Cristina snaps at him, his statement pulling her out of whatever trance she was trapped in.

"Nothing." He brushes her off and surprisingly, she lets it go.

"How long is this going to take?" Alex asks no one in particular, voicing everyone's annoyance at this moment.

"Why? You need to make a phone call?" Jackson asks from across the room and I tense up. He should not have said that to Alex. It's been a week since anyone has seen Izzie and he's been calling everyone she knows to try and find out where she went.

Charles snickers at Jackson's comment. I look over at Alex, who's sitting on my left, but before I can do anything to stop him, he's lunged out of his chair and grabbed Jackson by the collar of his scrub top.

"Alex, no!" I yell as suddenly everyone stands up in surprise while the two men throw each other around the tiny hallway.

"Whoa! Whoa!" I hear Derek yelling at them as he and the other attendings run over but I'm too busy trying to pull Alex off Jackson to see him.

"Get off of him!" April screams in a nasal voice as everyone tries to pull them apart. The room is alive with yelling from everyone; residents, nurses, and attendings alike. I manage to wedge myself between the two men just as Derek and Mark separate them. Luckily neither one of them threw a punch, even though Jackson did start fighting back.

Even with them separated, the yelling doesn't subside as every Mercy West and Seattle resident has found their opponent to scream at. I try to keep Alex from looking at Jackson, not wanting him to be provoked again but he can't hear me yelling at him. The two men struggle against the attendings that are holding them back while yelling at them to stop.

"Why don't you control your brother?!" I hear Reed yell behind me and suddenly I forget about Alex. I turn around to face her, stepping closer so that we're toe to toe.

"What the hell did you just say to me?" I spit in her face and she cocks her brow, challenging me.

"Control your brother." She says again, and the deafening screams from around me are drowned out by my own anger.