Chapter One

Chapter 1

Season 1, Episode 3

I never took life too seriously. At least, not my own life. I always helped others in any way I could but when it came to my own life, I couldn't care less. I grew up in a less than ideal home and it's been holding me back my entire life. When I finally decided to apply to medical school when I was seventeen, my brother thought I was out of my mind. Kind of funny when he ended up following me through the same program. I finally had a purpose, a reason to live. I wanted to become a surgeon and nothing was going to stop me.

Well... an email from Seattle Grace informing me that I didn't make the final cut into the intern program kinda stopped me. I was stuck for a while; I had been planning out my whole future and then out of nowhere, this wall smacked me in the face. I wasn't finished, I still was first in my class with an amazing degree under my belt, but I was rejected from my number one choice program. It kinda sucked.

I ended up applying for my second choice, Mercy West, and lucky for me was accepted even though my submission came in late. It was dumb on my part to only apply to one program thinking I would get in, but life gave me a second chance.

So, here I am. Sitting in a taxi on my way to join my new program. My new life as an intern which no doubt will be started with people assuming I was on a waiting list and got into the program late. Well, that's my karma. You would think that's all the karma I would get. I thought so too until I looked out my window to see a car come racing toward us. I heard a crash. Then everything went black.

∞∞∞∞∞∞

I can hear voices talking over my body, frantic and loud as they shift my weight from what I can assume is a spinal board to a bed. I keep my eyes closed for a minute until I hear a voice standing over me talking. All of a sudden, light is all I can see as someone shines a bright light into my eyes.

"Pupils are responsive." I hear a male voice speak above me. "Ma'am, can you hear me? My name is Doctor Shepherd. Can you tell me your name?" I scrunch my brow as my head is held in place, I recognize that name.

"We need to get her to CT stat." I hear another voice from the other side of me.

"Where am I?" I manage to breathe out, it comes out raspy and nothing like my normal voice. People are still moving all around me and I slowly start to feel pain in my chest. It starts to burn and I know that soon I'm going to fall unconscious again.

"Seattle Grace Hospital, you were in a car accident. Can you tell me your name?" He says again and I open my eyes now knowing where I am. How ironic. I can feel my body getting heavy. I know I'm about to pass out so I say the only thing I can get out.

"Karev."

∞∞∞∞∞∞

    It's quiet when I wake up. The silence is kind of alarming considering how loud it was when I fell unconscious. The only thing that can be heard is a slow but steady beeping, no doubt coming from a monitor attached to me. I open my eyes and sure enough, I'm strung up to many things. I assume I'm in the ICU as I look around the room. I look down at my arms that are covered with scrapes and bruises. Slowly I start to feel the pain in my chest again, paired with a throbbing in my head. I open my mouth to try and speak but it's dry and only a croak escapes.

    Lucky for me, just as I was going to try and get someone's attention, two doctors walk into my room. It's a man and a woman. The man has gentle eyes that could heal you without medicine and the woman is the opposite. A sour face with no expression.

    "Hi, my name is Dr. Shephard. How are you feeling?" The man asks as he walks over to my bedside. I look him up and down, I recognize him but can't put a finger on it.