Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

Season 2, Episode 3

    That night when I went back home, I went straight to my room and changed into my pajamas. I didn't feel like talking to anyone or explaining why I have been acting weird. George came and knocked on my door later that night, said that I needed to eat something. He brought me a sandwich but it's still sitting on my nightstand uneaten. It's almost twelve and no matter what I do I can't sleep.

    From my spot staring at the ceiling, I turn over to my bedside and grab my phone before dialing the only number I've ever memorized. It beeps a couple of times and I almost think she's not going to answer, but then I hear her voice through the phone.

    "Hello?" I smile and tears spring to my eyes when I hear my little sister's voice.

    "Hey, bug. How's everything?" I say with the happiest voice I can muster.

    "I'm okay. Why are you calling so late?" I turn over and look at my clock again.

    "Sorry, I just can't sleep. Why are you still awake? It's a school night." I say to her and I can hear her laugh through the phone.

    "Can't sleep either."

    "Is everything okay?" I ask almost frantically but she's quick to calm me down.

    "Yeah, I'm fine, don't worry." I breathe out in relief. "How's Seattle? Mercy West right? Have you told Alex yet?" She asks me so many questions and with each one, I realize I haven't told her anything.

    "Uh, yeah, about that. Turns out I got into Seattle Grace."

    "Addie, that's amazing!" I can hear her excitement through the phone and I almost tell her about Alex but I can't bring myself to do that. She looks up to Alex like he's a superhero and I don't want to complicate that for her.

    "Thanks, bug." I smile at my nickname for her. "I get to see Alex every day now."

    "Tell him I say hi."

    "Of course. Now you should be in bed. Goodnight, Amber."

    "Night, night." We hang up and I let my phone fall on my stomach as I look up at the ceiling fan moving slowly in circles. I wonder when the last time Alex called home was. He obviously didn't call Mom when I got into the accident. He probably hasn't talked to them since he left home.

    Luckily, after the phone call, sleep came easy to me and my eyes closed. Unfortunately, what felt like a minute later, my alarm was going off and I was forced to pull myself out of bed and get ready to go back into work.

    When I finally get to the locker rooms at Seattle Grace and change into my scrubs, I leave a thin black long sleeve shirt under the scrub top to keep warm. As I'm putting my shoes in my locker I can hear giggling coming from the other side of the room. I turn to see Izzie and Alex standing very close to each other talking and... laughing?

    "What is she doing?" Christina asks just as confused as me watching them talk to each other. I see that George and Meredith are also looking at them oddly. My brother does not get along with people, that's just who he is. He treats you like crap first so that you won't have a chance to do the same to him.

    "She's hanging out with Alex," George says slowly, tilting his head as if he can't believe what he's seeing.

    "Why?" She asks and he hesitates.

    "I don't know," George says with a cup of coffee in hand. "I think... I think they might be friends." When he says that I scoff and close my locker door.