Chapter Fifteen

Chapter 15

Season 2, Episode 16-17

    Waking up to the smell of burned toast is not a pleasant way to start the day. The smoke hits my nostrils and I'm unwillingly pulled from sleep. Before I can finish getting dressed, my door opens without a knock and I'm quick to cover my bare chest with my shirt when I see it's Izzie.

    "Have you ever heard of knocking?" I hiss at her as I hold the shirt over my front but she doesn't seem to care.

    "Somethings wrong with Meredith." She states taking a handful of cereal from the box and eating it dry. I crinkle my nose in disgust before turning and putting the shirt on.

    "Something is always wrong with Meredith," I state pulling on some jeans.

    "Can you just talk to her?" She begs and I roll my eyes, passing by her and walking out into the hallway.

    "Why me?" In my still half-asleep daze, I manage to limp over to the bathroom.

    "Because Cristina doesn't live here and you're the next best thing." She explains and I turn in confusion.

    "Next best thing?" I ask her unimpressed.

    "Yeah, you're all..." She trails off, trying to find the right words so I finish the statement for her.

    "Dark and twisty?" I laugh but she shakes her head.

    "That's not what I meant!"

    "But that's what you were thinking," I mutter before walking across the hall to Meredith's room. "Fine. I'll talk to her."

    I open the door and walk into the room to see Meredith still lying in bed but wide awake. We have to be at work in thirty minutes so I don't understand why she is still not dressed.

    "Mere, we have to go. Get up." I announce unimpressed and very tired as I let out a yawn.

    "I'm not going." Is the only thing she says. I walk around the bed so I'm standing in front of her and crouch down so I'm at eye level.

    "What do you mean you're not going?"

    "I'm just not going." I roll my eyes at her dismissiveness and grab the corner of her blanket before pulling it off her body. She's wearing sweats so she's not cold but she looks upset at the movement.

    "You're an intern. You have no choice. Saving lives is not optional."

    "Yes, it is. I'm staying home." She says shoving her face into the pillow. I stand up and look at Izzie who stands in the doorway.

    "I'm not manhandling her," I say as I walk away from the bed and out of the door.

    "You barely talked to her!" Izzie yells as I walk down the hall.

    "Call Cristina if you're so worried," I mutter without turning around. If Meredith doesn't want to go into work today, that's fine. It just means that I have a better chance of getting all the cool surgeries. One less intern to fight with.

    Speaking of really cool surgeries, once we all got to the hospital after Cristina convinced Meredith to get out of bed, the surgery board was pretty much completely empty. All hope of learning something was pinned on the ER. It's probably a bad thing that I'm hoping someone was really stupid and got injured, but I can't help it. 

    All of us line up outside the ER putting on our yellow gowns, we were called to incoming traumas and are currently waiting for further instruction. George is tying the strings at the back of my gown as I tie Izzies.