Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter 21

Season 3, Episode 8-12

When my mother got sick, it felt like the world was falling apart. The ground was dropping out from under me and I had nothing to hold onto. I tried everything to make her better and to bring back any small part of her that resembled my mother. After a while, I gave up and got used to the fact that she was never going to be the same.

The moment he was able to, Alex left home and hasn't looked back since. I've tried everything to make him visit home but he's a grown man and I can't force him to do anything. Sometimes I wish I could do what he's doing. Just separate myself from that life and move on but they're my family.

When George told me that his dad was in the hospital sick, I didn't say it, but I know exactly what he's going through. No amount of comfort can make it feel better. Even so, I felt like I should be there for him. We all are with him in the locker room when Meredith walks in all of a sudden.

"Today is the day, people." She starts ranting the moment she walks through the door and we all look up at her in alarm. "Today is the day when dark and twisty Meredith disappears forever and bright and shiny Meredith takes her place. You're probably not gonna want to be friends with me anymore because the sheer intensity of my happiness is gonna make your teeth hurt. That's okay because life is good."

I roll my eyes as she rants, completely unaware of the more pressing situation. I look at George apologetically before turning to Meredith who has only just realized we don't look pleased.

"What's going on?" She asks us and I look to George for permission before answering.

"George's dad got admitted last night," I say softly and her face drops.

"Oh, my god. Is he okay?" She asks desperately and George turns around to face at her.

"Oh, no. He's fine." He says but he can't seem to make eye contact with anyone.

"He passed out, hit the floor and fractured his clavicle," Izzie explains. After talking with Chief Webber, she somehow was able to get her job back. Unfortunately, since she did technically break many rules, she is on probation. Sentenced to only observe and not touch patients.

"Yeah, but his clavicle's fine. Callie said it's gonna be fine." He reassures us, but it sounds like he's trying to convince himself more than anyone else.

"Are those his AM labs?" Meredith asks, looking over George's shoulder as he pulls out his father's chart.

"Yeah, complaining of severe abdominal pain," I answer her as George continues to scan the documents.

"He doesn't have peritoneal signs. That's good." Cristina says in the most comforting voice I've ever heard her use.

"Has anybody seen..." We all turn sharply to see Bailey standing in the doorway. George closes the binder quickly and hands it to her, obviously as a family member he's not supposed to have it.

"I was just looking at it." He says looking at the ground as she purses her lips.

"Don't you think me reading it is more important than you reading it?" She says opening it flipping through.

"Sure. Fine." George says turning to his locker and I put a hand on his shoulder in comfort. "He'll be fine." He says and I give him a reassuring nod.

"You're on scut today. You'll be distracted." Bailey says and he turns to look at her.

"No, I won't."