Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter 29

Season 5, Episode 4-5

    It's been a week since Rebecca was taken to the psychiatric facility and Alex has been taking it hard. To someone watching from the outside, he doesn't even care anymore, but I know the dismissive and carefree attitude is him covering up the loss he's feeling.

On a better note, last night, George and I went out for drinks, and he told me that Chief Webber allowed him to retake the intern exam. He's waiting on the results but I have no doubt that he'll pass. Honestly, I think he's one of the smartest among us. I would never admit that out loud, but I can't deny the fact that he has some incredible potential.

We all stand in the main lobby of the hospital being scolded by Webber. He's upset with us complaining about where we are assigned. My guess is that this has something to do with Cristina and her craving to be on cardio. I've been getting a lot of trauma hours so Bailey decided to put me on the service of a general surgeon.

As I'm trying to find my attending, I feel like someone is watching me. I turn around to see Callie staring at me from a nurse's station. I frown, looking around the hall to make sure she really is looking at me before walking over.

"Can I help you?" I ask in confusion as she continues to stare at me as if her life depends on it.

"Can you keep a secret?" She asks and I take a big gulp. I've been down this road before many times, a few of them being with Callie so I'm not sure how I want to answer that question.

"Like a vault. What's up?" I ask, sliding over to sit beside her.

"I'm going on a date with Erica Hahn." She suddenly blurts out and I raise my brow. Out of all secrets I was expecting, that was not one of them.

"Okay... is that a bad thing?" I ask, unable to read her face. It's almost a mixture of fear and adrenaline.

"No, I mean, I'm not sure." She struggles. "Normally, she's the person I would go to talk to about something like this but now she's on the other end of it. What do I do?"

"Go on the date?" I suggest, unsure how she wants me to respond to this situation.

"But, she's a colleague and an attending... and she's a she." She finishes, looking up at me with big eyes.

"Okay, so if you're not into girls, just say no." I offer, confused as to why she's even having this conversation with me.

"That's the thing. I don't know if I am. I've never thought about it before." She rambles. "I mean, we've already kissed. There has been kissing, but, no touching. What if I'm not into it? What if I'm terrible? I've never done this... with a female."

"Uh..." I trail off, unable to find words to help her in this situation. I watch as her features soften as she realizes what she's just asked me.

"I'm sorry. Can we just forget about this?" She asks and I give her one nod before starting to walk away.

"Callie?" I turn around and she looks up. "I'm here to talk, though. When you don't have her around, I'm a good listener." She gives me a genuine smile before answering.

"Thanks."

∞∞∞∞∞∞

    "Can someone tell me why I was paged 911 to derm?" I ask, walking into the dermatology wing of the hospital. The moment I walk through the doors, I'm slapped in the face with a strong aroma of sweetness, maybe a type of flower. The wing is bright and alarmingly cheerful.

    "Audrey!" I turn to see Cristina sitting on a couch in the middle of the room calling me over. Meredith is sitting beside her practicing stitches on some grapes.