Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter 24

Season 3, Episode 18-23

    I don't know much about Cristina Yang but I do know that she is a brilliant and simple person. She would not be caught dead in a dress or any form of lace patterning. Everything that makes a stereotypical girl is the opposite of Cristina, which is why I didn't believe it when she told me she was marrying Burke.

    Granted, she told me in a text and didn't bring it up when we went to work the next day. I guess they're just planning to go to city hall and sign the papers. I'm honestly not surprised. I am surprised, however, as I walk into the bathroom this morning to see my half-naked brother brushing his teeth.

    "What the hell are you doing here?" I whine in annoyance as he spits into the sink but splots of toothpaste splash onto the mirror. "Are you sleeping with Izzie again?"

    "No. I moved in." He states without looking up at me. My jaw drops as I stutter out an objection.

    "Absolutely not. Did you ask Meredith?" I ask since there is no way Meredith could have agreed to this.

    "Yeah, I'm in George's old room." He says putting his toothbrush on the sink counter and turning to face me. Since George and Callie are married, they've been living together. The arrangement has confused me since they're exclusively staying at a really expensive hotel.

    "I moved in here to try and get away from you. You can't just move in!" I exclaim and he shrugs before walking around me to the door.

    "Except that I already did." He smirks as he walks out, leaving me there conflicted. This cannot be happening to me. I want to barge in on Meredith and ask her what the hell she was thinking but I've been giving her some slack the past couple of weeks since the accident. She keeps telling us she's fine but no one is fine after dying and coming back to life. She also lost her mother which can't be easy.

That day at work, Bailey assigned me to be on Mark Sloan's service. Obviously, for the first time, news hasn't spread throughout the hospital and our secret is safe. At least until one of my friends spills in front of a nurse. The moment a nurse finds out about something, it's a quick chain reaction before everyone knows.

During the accident, Alex managed to save a pregnant woman who was crushed by tons of rubble that destroyed her facial bone structure. Luckily for her, Mark is probably the best plastic surgeon in the country and I'm not being biased. Since I'm on his service, I get to assist with the reconstructive surgery.

"This is our computer-generated approximation or your original facial structure based on the 3D CT scans we did," Mark explains to the women lying in the bed. "It's what you could look like after reconstructive surgery. Or you could look like this." He says, flipping through different images on the screen but she doesn't look pleased. "You don't like them?"

"No, it's not that. How does this work exactly?" She says, turning to face Alex who is standing beside me. I look at him with my brow raised slightly. It's common that after a traumatic incident like this where the person has memory loss, they attach to a particular person. I guess that person is Alex.

"He'll make an incision along your hairline, and then..." He trails off, obviously not wanting to scare her with the details of the extreme surgery.

"It's okay. I can take it." She mumbles which makes Alex look at Mark for permission.

"He'll literally pull your face off." Alex finishes which makes me cringe slightly. That could have been described a lot better.

"It sounds a lot worse than it is." Mark recovers for Alex. "Your face is extremely elastic and pulling it down allows me to repair the bone fractures underneath. Without causing any scarring. Once you've healed, no one will ever know you had the surgery." It really sounds too good to be true but I've read about some of Mark's past surgeries and the work he's done is incredible.