Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter 43

Season 6, Episode 23-24

(Trigger Warning: Gun Violence)

The hospital is my favourite place in the world. It's where I found my people and became the person I always knew I could become if I just put my mind to it. Some of my best memories were from within these walls and it's hard to see myself leaving one day. While I might complain about working late nights and the countless hours this job entails, I never stop loving it.

Before I could get to my assignment this morning, I was paged by Meredith to our abandoned hallway we used to eat in as interns. On my way there I bump into Cristina, neither one of us knows what Meredith wants us for but as we walk up to her, I notice she looks nervous.

"What's up?" I ask her, refreshed from a night of sleep. Working after the drinking from the party two nights ago was rough, but I managed to get the night off to sleep away the hangover, leaving me feeling refreshed today.

"I have some news." She says nervously, fidgeting with her fingers as Cristina and I give each other an amused look.

"Okay..." Cristina says, waiting for Meredith to speak but she seems to be stalling. "Are you gonna tell us─"

"I'm pregnant." She blurts, cutting her off and our eyes widen, the words resonating in our heads as she looks between the two of us. "Well?"

"Oh, my god," I mutter to myself, complete shock taking over me before a smile spreads across my face.

"No way." Cristina snaps, eyes wide and unbelieving as Meredith nods.

"Yeah," Meredith says, still fidgeting.

"No freaking way." She says again, not yet reaching the acceptance of this new information.

"Right?" Meredith agrees with Cristina's shock, obviously not coming to terms with it herself.

"Were you guys...trying?" I ask her, remembering when she told me Derek was asking her about having kids, now it's becoming a reality.

"No. Total accident." She says, a slight smirk creeping on her face.

"So, are we happy about this?" I ask her, trying to be supportive in whatever she's feeling, even if that feeling is undecided.

"Are we exercising our legal right to choose?" Cristina adds for me, letting her know we're here for her either way. When the smirk turns into a toothy smile, Cristina and I have no choice but to join her, a laugh leaving Cristina as we move forward. "All right, then."

"Congratulations!" I grin, Cristina moving forward with extended arms and pulling us both in for a group hug, something unfamiliar for all three of us, but at this moment, we let ourselves be happy.

"Let's hug it out!" Cristina smiles as we all share the quick hug. "Have you told him?"

"No, I just found out." She answers, tapping her pocket where I assume sits the stick. Before we can answer, all three of our pagers start going off and I sigh; moment over.

"Ugh, it's the pit." I groan as I check my page. I look back up, leaning forward and giving Meredith a side hug. "I'm happy for you. Let me know how Derek reacts."

"I will." She laughs as I turn, before I'm out of earshot I turn, yelling down the hall.

"This is very adult, Meredith, I'm proud of you," I call out and she laughs, waving me away.

"I hope it has Derek's hair," Cristina calls out and I laugh as I leave down the darkened hallway, picking up my pace to a jog to get to the ER. The pit is in full swing, loud and messy, just how I like it. There are patients everywhere so I run over to the nurse's station.