Chapter Four

Chapter 4

Season 1, Episode 9

    Finally. Freaking finally. Those are the only words I can think as I walk through the front doors of Seattle Grace hospital not as a patient, but as a mother freaking doctor. I'm a little disoriented as I don't know where the intern locker rooms are but I make my way to the chief's office, he told me he would sort me out on my first day.

    When I get there, I knock on the door and hear him on the door side telling me to come in. I walk in to see him at his desk and he pulls his glasses off.

    "Ah, Dr. Karev." I walk over to his desk and smile. "Hopefully we'll be able to catch you up to speed today. Remember to take it easy. I don't mean to sell yourself short, but if you need to sit down, don't hesitate."

    "I'm fine, Sir. Really." I say confidently. I don't want to be seen as weak on my first day; I want to be thrown in headfirst. He takes a second and looks at me and makes a little noise as if to say we'll see about that.

    "Okay then. You've been assigned to our resident Dr. Miranda Bailey, she'll tell you where you need to be. The locker room is on the second floor at the top of the staircase." He says before putting his glasses back on and I take it as a sign to leave.

    "Thank you, sir." I leave the room, closing the door behind me and making my way to the lobby before walking up a main flight of stairs and finding the locker room.

    When I walk into the locker room, it seems to be empty so I find a locker with nothing in it and claim it as my own. I take my bag off my shoulder and put it inside before grabbing a fresh pair of scrubs and taking my lab coat out of my bag, they sent it to me earlier that week and it has my name sewn onto it. I'm about to take off my shirt to change when I hear someone sniff on the other side of the locker room. I turn and walk around the lockers to see my brother standing in front of the mirror clipping his nose hairs. Disgusting.

    "Oh hey, you're here." He says without looking away from the mirror. I roll my eyes and go back behind the lockers where he can't see me.

    "Unfortunately, so are you," I mutter while changing.

    "I heard that."

    "I wanted you to." That jackass.

    I finish changing and decide that until I'm put on a case I'll keep the lab coat off. I have enough layers as it is with my white long sleeve underneath the scrubs. I tie my hair up into a ponytail before making my way out of the room. As I open the door, George bursts in and we almost collide.

    "We gotta stop meeting like this." I smile but when he returns the gesture he seems a little distracted. I brush it off, we all have bad days.

    "I didn't realize it was your first day." He says as I switch places with him standing in the room and me standing in the hallway.

    "Yeah, well, it is," I say a little awkwardly. "Oh, by the way, I have the Nazi so I'll be seeing you around." He gives me a genuine smile at that before we part ways and he goes into the locker room. I decided to try and find the famous Nazi. Hopefully, I can make a good impression, maybe if I don't call her the Nazi it'll help.

    After about ten minutes of wandering aimlessly throughout the hospital with no luck in finding her, I run into a girl I recognize vaguely.

    "Hi, we haven't met before, I'm-" Before I can finish introducing myself she cuts me off.

    "Alex's sister right?" She says it with a smile but my teeth grid at the mention of my brother. This is why I didn't want to join this program after my brother, now I'm just going to be known as Alex's sister. I'm not going to be my own person.