Chapter Ten

Chapter 10

Season 2, Episode 6

    When you're a surgeon, you never get a day off from being a surgeon. Sure, technically you may have a day off on paper, but in reality, you are never going to stop thinking about surgery. It's your life and without it, there's not much left. I guess I have it easier than most. Med students who grew up in a comfortable, quiet home with the only stress inducer being school are suddenly thrown into this unexpected world. Me, I was never used to a quiet life, so when that pager goes off, I'm not surprised.

    It's been hours and we are still sitting in Joe's bar chaperoning Meredith and her dreams of McDreamy. I'm attempting to throw darts at the dartboard while Izzie, George, and Cristina are beside me at the standing table. All of us are watching Meredith who is still sitting and waiting at the bar.

    "When you tell someone I'll meet you later at a bar tonight, how long exactly does that mean you're supposed to wait?" Cristina asks as George takes a dart from my hand and trades places with me in our nonchalant game.

    "Do you think he's really not coming?" George says throwing the darts but looking at Meredith. I grab his arm, stopping him from throwing another one.

    "George, you're gonna kill someone." I take the darts from him and start throwing myself.

    "It is getting a little hard to watch," Izzie says looking at her.

    "It was hard to watch an hour ago. Now it's just pathetic." Cristina states and I nod.

    "And sad," I say throwing my last dart before walking over to the table and taking a sip of my water.

    "Who is pathetic and sad?" Meredith says turning to us quickly. "You who pretend to be my friends are calling me pathetic behind my back in front of my face." I notice George pointing to Cristina from the corner of my eye. "Why don't you just dump the pig's blood on me now and get it over with."

    The door opens again and we all turn quickly, just to see Tyler the nurse walk in. Meredith turns back to the bar sadly before my pager starts beeping from my hip. I look down at it and see it's a 911. All of our pagers start going off and I hear someone yelling at Joe to turn the tv up.

    "A massive train wreck occurred just outside of Seattle moments ago." The reporter on the tv explains.

    "911? We just worked a 30-hour shift." Izzie says in disbelief as I pull my bag over my shoulder. So much for dressing nice and having a shower.

    "I don't have any clean underwear." George states and I look at him weirdly.

    "The Vancouver-bound train was carrying over 300 passengers." I hear the reporter say as I walk out of the bar. This is going to be fun.

∞∞∞∞∞∞

    All of us ran across the street to the hospital and changed as fast as we could. All of us wanted to get to the ER first to get the best cases and the best surgeries. As we walk off the elevator and make our way to the pit, I look over to Meredith who looks to be stumbling.

    "Mer, you're drunk. You shouldn't be working." I say to her genuinely concerned as we turn a corner into the ER.

    "You just wanna better chance at getting a surgery." She slurs her words, almost tripping but I catch her arm.

    "No. I just don't want you getting fired after tending to a patient intoxicated." I explain and she looks over at me before nodding. We make it to the doors and grab the yellow gowns to get ready.