Chapter Thirty

Chapter 30

Season 5, Episode 7-9

    Four years of medical school and another year of internship, all leading up to the one main goal. Becoming a kick-ass surgeon. The only way to do that is to eventually complete a surgery on your own. I've been waiting to be the one on the leading side of the surgical table, barking orders at everyone instead of being on the other side, the one being barked at. As we all stand in a lab with Doctor Webber, I can feel something is different.

    "Ladies and gentlemen, allow me to introduce... Stan." Webber says, pulling back a sheet off of what appears to be a surgical dummy. Only this one actually has a face and isn't just a chest. "A state-of-the-art, computerized patient simulator. Stan can educate you in airway management, trauma assessment and care. He breathes, he seizes, he hemorrhages and he speaks. Hello, Stan."

    "Hello, Doctor. I'm not feeling well." A computerized voice can be heard from the plastic body, making all of us laugh.

    "Stan will tell you what he needs, and he's more forgiving than most patients. Make good use of him." Webber says, giving us a nod before leaving the room and making way for Bailey.

    "We're operating on robots now?" George asks in disbelief.

    "Can we please go back to pigs?" Alex asks from beside me and I scoff in disgust.

    "Nope. How about actual humans?" I ask and Bailey looks up at us in amusement.

    "When the Chief decides which one of you gets to do the first solo surgery, you'll wanna be ready." She says before going back to her notes. Little did she know that would start a full-on panic from all of us.

    "Wait, did you just say solo surgery?"

    "What! We get to go solo?!"

    "When is he deciding that?!"

    "Only one of us?!"

    "I do not know what it will be. I do not know when it will be." Bailey says putting her arms up and interrupting all of us who were speaking over each other. "I do know what the winner should be prepared to do any surgical procedure and will choose one intern to scrub in. Practice your skills, impress your attendings and just do not make me look stupid."

∞∞∞∞∞∞

    "Have you ever lost someone?" Izzie asks from the doorway of my room as I get ready for bed. It's been a long day and I just want to get some sleep. George and I were working on Stan the whole day and he kept dying, only for us to find out that Webber was controlling him in the other room and we were set up to fail.

    I look up at her from my bed in alarm. She looks quite distraught and I pat the bed with my hand, gesturing for her to sit. She walks over and sits on the end of my bed cross-legged. I sit up in the bed and lean on my headboard.

    "What do you mean, Iz?" I ask and she looks down at her hands.

    "Sorry, I just... have you ever lost someone you were close to?" She asks again and I hesitate a moment before answering.

    "Is this about Denny?" I ask her and she lets out a shaky laugh.

    "Yeah, actually." She says, looking up at me and I study her a moment before answering.

    "I've never lost someone the way you have. But, I do know loss." I mutter as she looks at me with an unreadable emotion. "Is everything okay?"

    "Yeah, I'm fine." She says, moving back and off of my bed, suddenly very closed off from me.

    "Did I say something?" I ask concerned but she shakes her head.