Chapter Forty

Chapter 40

Season 6, Episode 12-15

Yelling was all that could be heard through the house this morning. Meredith and Derek have been having a big fight, I'm not sure what about, but I think it has something to do with Webber and Derek wanting his job. I've only picked up bits in pieces when passing by their bedroom door to get to the bathroom.

Every time Meredith or Derek picks up another stray for this house, I don't think they think about the privacy needed in a marriage. I would move out but I don't know where else I would go in Seattle for such cheap rent. Instead, I sit in my lovely kitchen with a cup of coffee, trying to ignore the yelling that can be heard from upstairs. I'm surprised it hasn't woken up Alex yet since his room is right beside theirs.

I risk looking down at my phone to check for messages. I haven't called Izzie since Thanksgiving and part of me still hopes she'll call me back. I scroll lazily through my phone with sleepy eyes until I notice a new notification. Just a simple text from Izzie saying I'm coming home.

I'm not sure what to make of the text, so I head upstairs and toward Alex's room. I don't bother knocking and push open the door.

"Alex, I got a-" I start and instantly regret not knocking as I see Alex lying in bed with a woman, thankfully they're both asleep and under the covers. He rolls over with a groan spotting me in the doorway. "Uh, Izzie's coming home."

"What?!" The woman shoots up from the bed, very much awake and my jaw drops open as I realize it's Lexie. "Izzie's coming?!"

"Lexie?" I ask in shock, not understanding how she ended up in my brother's bed.

"Oh, crap." She mumbles, her head falling into her hands while Alex lies back, seemingly unfazed by the whole interaction.

"Care to explain?" I ask her with a hand on my hip.

"Mark and I broke up." She mumbles and I shrug.

"And you decided this was the best way to deal with your grief?" I ask, pointing at my half-asleep brother and she groans, pulling herself from the bed with the sheet wrapped around her.

"I know this is really bad." She says worriedly looking around the floor for her clothes while I look over at my brother.

"And you! What were you thinking?" I ask him and he continues to look unfazed by my scolding. "Izzie is coming so you better clean up."

"Whatever." He mumbles into his pillow, rolling back over in his bed. I look over at Lexie to see her trying to put on a day-old blouse and I sigh.

"You can borrow one of my shirts, come on," I mutter, gesturing for her to follow me out of the room. She looks grateful as I give her one of my t-shirts and let her change in my room. I've always liked Lexie and felt sort of maternally protective over her. I'm just disappointed that her bad choices lead her to my brother's bedroom for the second time. When they both finally got ready and joined me down in the kitchen, I couldn't help but scold them.

"Look, I've only been with like, six guys in my whole life. Alex and I, we've done it before. It was like... recycling. It was, uh, good for the environment..." Lexie tries to justify her actions but trails off as her point starts to make less sense.

"I don't care about that. You rebounded on my married brother." I say as she recoils in complete guilt as I turn to my brother. "You have a wife."

"Yeah, a wife that up and left. Look, Izzie's gone, I was horny, she was there." Alex says, pouring himself some coffee, clearly done with me scolding him.