Chapter Thirty-Six

Chapter 36

Season 6, Episode 5

When rich people want to make more buildings for their businesses, they wipe out entire forests to make room, not caring about the animals and organisms they're harming in the process. This merger kind of reminds me of that. They're wiping us out by the dozens to make room for the shiny new buildings that we call Mercy Westers. I haven't even met them yet and I hate their guts.

I got up two hours early to get ready for work. I know it's not really necessary, but I'll do anything to show that I'm not a little squirrel about to lose its favourite tree. After an hour of waiting around on my hands, I decided to wake everyone else up for rounds. No point letting them ruin our reputation by being late.

Since Meredith and Derek are now post-it married, they drive to work together. Izzie has been at the hospital the past couple of days so I really only woke up Alex. In all honesty, I ran into George's old room to wake him up first. The moment I stepped into the room, a wave of sadness washed over me when I realized I forgot he was dead for a couple of minutes.

I tried to get over it quickly and rode to work with Alex. We thought we were early, but apparently, the Mercy Westers had the same idea. All I could see when we walked through the front door of the hospital was a sea of orange scrubs. A nasty colour if you ask me. They clash with our own pale blue scrubs. The two opposite colours make it very easy to scope out the competition.

Alex and I make our way through the crowd and over to the main elevators. He presses the button and we wait in silence before Alex speaks up.

"Did you see those scrubs?" Alex asks, turning to me with a disgusted look on his face.

"Awful," I mutter as the doors start to open. We walk inside and I lean over to press the button for the second floor; where our locker rooms are. The doors start to close but before they can close all the way, a hand suddenly appears in between them, holding them open. I don't think anything of it until I see the person who the hand belongs to. He's wearing orange scrubs.

The man looks inside the elevator, giving us a quick look before his buddy, also wearing orange scrubs, runs over and the two of them get in. The one who held the door reaches forward and across me to hit the second-floor button.

"Already pressed it," I mutter, instinct releasing the words before I can stop myself. I didn't mean for him to hear me, but he turns to face me sharply and I quickly wipe the frown off my face.

"Oh." Is the only thing he says as he leans back, not breaking eye contact. Damn, his eyes are astoundingly blue. I quickly snap out of it and turn away. I hear a chuckle from the two men and find myself frowning again.

The elevator ride seems to go on forever, the painful silence falling on all of our shoulders. I can tell they know who we are, just like we know them. Two Seattle Grace residents and two Mercy West residents, destined to be enemies.

In the last couple of seconds, I can feel someone's eyes on me but I don't look away from the doors in front of us. When they finally open, Alex and I start walking out.

"Hey, you're a-" The man starts to ask but I don't give him a second glance.

"Nope." I snap, quickly following Alex down the hall. When we get to the lockerroom, the room is full of people in orange scrubs and I have to stop myself from audibly groaning. I walk over to my locker and quickly shove my bag inside, grabbing my pale blue scrubs, thankful for the simple colour.

I suddenly feel a presence beside me and turn to see a girl with red hair in a pixie cut shoving her fat bag into George's old vacant locker. In an instant, I'm overcome with panic.