CHRISTMAS GIFTS (9)

Since it was the day before Christmas Eve, Weston had the rest of the week off. Thankfully, she had used online shops for all of her christmas presents for Killian, but now, after becoming friends with Corpse, she only felt it was necessary to get him something.

She didn't know when she would get the chance to give him anything, because since she had left the night before, he hadn't reached out to her.

It was awkward, after Corpse knew everything. She was unsure what he was thinking, and maybe Weston had said too much. She talked a lot when she was drunk. He hadn't rushed her out of the apartment, but did suggest more than once that Killian needed to sleep in his own bed, and they should probably get home, before Weston got the memo and left.

She didn't have the time to consider his feelings. There wasn't a reason he should care anyway.

Still, getting gifts for a neighbor was normal, right? Regardless, he had watched her son for her, more than once, an he deserved something for doing so.

As they pulled into the mall parking lot, Weston knew it was going to be insanely busy, and she could only hope they had what she wanted to get him.

She unclipped Killian from his booster seat, grabbed his backpack with a change of clothes and snacks and headed inside. She made sure she had a tight grip on Killian's hand.

"Mommy, I want to get Crops a friendship bracelet!" Killian said excitedly, as they made their way through the crowds of people.

God, she was so happy she only had to do this once.

"Why don't we get a friendship bracelet kit, and you guys can make them together when you see him next time?" Weston proposed. Killian was really into spending time with someone instead of doing it by himself. Weston assumed it was because of how he didn't know anyone besides her and his teachers, which made attachment so different from most kids.

Killian squealed, smiling brightly. "Yes please," he said.

Weston nodded, knowing they could find something like that in the kids section of one of the stores.

She had a few ideas of what she wanted to get him, but decided she would only get him two things from her: a new chain, and a new wallet.

She stopped at the jewelry store she was most familiar with, knowing she would get a good deal. She warned Killian not to touch anything, not wanting him to accidentally break expensive pieces. He was good though, and listened, just staring at the shimmering diamonds in the glass case. She decided on a thick, silver chain.

It was a little out of her price range, but she decided it was worth it, if he would actually wear it. Making sure to get a gift receipt, they boxed everything for her, putting it in nice gift wrapping.

They rushed through the stores, Weston deciding against the wallet, and just picking up the bracelet making kit. She made sure the one she got had the beads with letters, and was very colorful, so Killian wouldn't complain about any color feeling "left out" like he had before.

They ate in the food court quickly, and finally made it back home.

Weston considered waiting to give Corpse his presents, but with the way Killian was talking, she knew they wouldn't be able to hold off. She made a deal with Killian, though, promising they could go see 'Crops' if he would clean his room while she wrapped his present.

imessage

weston
hey just wanted to let you know, killian has christmas presents for you and wanted to come over later, if that's okay.

corpse
how about i come to you guys, my apartment is a mess

weston
that's fine, ill cook dinner

corpse
ok, getting ready now

Weston picked up the apartment and deep cleaned the bathroom before Corpse arrived. She allowed Killian to open the front door for him, letting them have their moment together. Killian was talking his ear off, telling him all about their time in the mall, thankfully not mentioning what they had actually bought.

"Hi," Weston greeted simply as she walked out of the now clean bathroom.

Surprisingly enough, Corpse came her, arms wide open. He brought her in for a tight hug and holy shit, she felt so new. She hadn't been hugged in years, and now, against his hard chest, she wanted to cry. Their height difference made them fit together perfectly.

"Why are we hugging? Is someone sad?" Killian gasped, "I will hug too!" he hugged around both of their legs, making the adults laugh. Weston brought a hand down from Corpse's back to pay Killian on the head.

"It's not sad, bud," she said, leaving it at that.

Before it could get awkward, she pulled away. She looked at Corpse gratefully, saying thank you silently with her eyes.

He smiled back at her. "Okay, Killy, I hear Santa's coming early!" Corpse said dramatically, sitting on the floor with Killian.

Killian was quiet suddenly, and shit, Weston felt so stupid.

She never really did the Santa thing with Killian. It was hard, because they couldn't afford a christmas tree, and they lived in a complex; they didn't have a chimney. At school, they only told one story about Santa, and every time, Killian would ask questions.

"Mommy, how will Santa get into our house if we don't have a chimney?"
"Mommy, how will Santa leave our presents if we don't have a christmas tree?"

Every time the holidays came around, Weston felt like such a failure.

All of Killian's friends had older parents, parents who could buy gifts, and ornaments, and decorations, and elves to put on shelves. Parents who could afford a mortgage for a house they could hang lights on. But Weston couldn't do that. Not even with two jobs.

It was her fault for not telling Corpse. Now, she expected a breakdown.

"Santa doesn't come here," Killian said quietly.

Weston's heart hurt for him. She had always tried her best, but as he spoke, sadness in his throat, she wished she had done more.

"Why not?" Corpse asked. He had felt the mood in the room change, but couldn't pinpoint why. Did they not celebrate christmas? Did Killian not get gifts? He was sure Weston wouldn't make him go through that.

"Well, we don't have a christmas tree for him to leave presents, or a chimney, so he skips over us and goes to other little kids, who need it more than we do. Mommy says he goes to the kids without Mommy's so everyone can get presents. Mommy gets me some things, though."

Weston was nearly flinching with every word. It was the only thing that seemed to work to make Killian stop crying when he was sad about Santa. And yeah, Weston felt horrible, but she tried to make a lesson out of it instead of lying to him entirely.

She kept her eyes down, staring at the kitchen counter with tears in her eyes. She couldn't stand to see Corpse looking at her, judgement in his eyes.

"Well, let's go get a christmas tree, then!" Corpse said happily.

Weston looked up at him with wide eyes. "What?"

"Really?" Killian asked, shocked and barely able to contain his excitement.

"Yup," Corpse said, already standing up to put on his shoes.