SICK (43)

"Today, Weston! You need to pay it today!" Jim yelled.

    Weston kept her eyes to the floor. She was ashamed, and maybe she should've stood up for herself, but with him yelling she couldn't think.

    "I'll have it. I just need a few days..." she offered desperately, hoping he would just shut up.

    She was trying to get Killian into the car so he wouldn't hear anymore. She could only imagine what Killian would tell Corpse: how mommy got yelled at by the landlord for not paying rent. Corpse was going to be disappointed in her.

Jim had seen her packing Killian into the car, and why he thought it would be good to yell at her about rent now, she didn't know. But she was over a week late, so she had no ground to stand on.

    To top it all off, she was sick. Maybe it was a cold, or a sinus infection, she didn't know but it was kicking her ass.

    "I don't have a few days, Weston. You've never had a problem paying rent before, what's the problem now?" Jim asked, and at least he seemed to be trying to listen.

    Weston closed the door, leaning against her car, sniffling lightly. She had to get Killian to school, and she was going to be late for work.

    "I just...." she coughed slightly, her throat burning. "I only work one job now, and it's just been a little harder to pull the money together, okay? But I promise, I get paid Friday, and I'll have it then," she tried.

    Jim sighed. "You've lived here for a long time. You know I love you and Killian, and I've tried to help a lot of the time. But this place isn't getting any cheaper. Next month, rent is going to be raised to match the demand of the area. Your lease is up...Maybe... maybe, you should look into other places to live."

    Weston felt like she could cry. She nodded anyway.

    "Friday, okay?" Jim said sadly, rubbing his head in disappointment as he walked back into the office.

    Weston sighed, willing her tears to dissipate as she got into the car. She didn't have the money, and she knew it.

    "Are you okay, Mommy?" Killian asked sweetly. His voice was quiet, and Weston could tell he was upset. She turned to him slightly, smiling at him.

    "Yeah, baby. Don't worry about anything, okay?" She held his hand gently in her own, giving it a small squeeze before backing out of the complex, and heading to Killian's school.

    Weston came home feeling worse than when she left. Her head pounding from a headache, she could barely make it through the door without wanting to crumble on the couch. Work had been hell, she felt like shit, and somehow she was supposed to find a new place to live in the next three weeks.

    Placing her stuff down on the dining room table, her eyes droopy from exhaustion, and started making dinner. Corpse was supposed to drop Killian off when he had to start his stream and Killian would be hungry. She couldn't stop being a mother because she was sick and panicking.

    She started making pasta. Killian would eat it well, he would go to sleep with a full belly, and honestly she couldn't bring herself to care about nutrients when her head was pounding.

    Right as she was finishing, Killian was rushing into the apartment, practically bouncing off the walls with excitement.

    "Hi, baby!" she croaked out, smiling gently at him as he ran to her.