10: The Qunari

Úlfhéðnar ~ Dervhengrym (Sten's Theme)

We left the tavern and continued through the village, restocking our supplies. Food would be another thing, since the people here didn't have much to spare. I could hunt for our meat; I was one of the best Hunters of our clan. Bread and other foodstuff would be another matter. Leliana and Morrigan began a discussion on religion. Alistair had wandered a few paces off as I attempted to barter for supplies. The merchant seemed to not even want to do business with me due to my race, judging by his hostility.

A young dark-haired woman came up then. "Stop being an ass, Seggrit," she said. "It's one thing to badger us, but outsiders are another thing."

"I have to make a profit, Bethany. You know that." He pointed at me. "The knife ear is trying to pay me with more goods."

I glared at him. That was really getting old.

"Not many have the money to pay your outlandish prices." Bethany placed a hand on her hip, close to a small dagger sheathed there. She was wearing pants and her top looked a bit like robes. She had a red scarf around her neck. There was something familiar about her.  "And don't call her knife ears. She is a Dalish, you idiot."

Seggrit muttered under his breath. "Fine," he said louder, and we traded our goods. "You're just like your sister."

"Thanks for your help," she said sweetly with a smile. I couldn't help but smile myself. "Someone's been needing to knock him down a peg or two," she continued, still smiling. "I presume I was correct about you being Dalish. I've never seen anyone with tattoos like that. I'm Bethany Hawke." She held her hand out. That was why she was so familiar.

"I am. Realin Mahariel." We shook hands. "Do you happen to have a sister name Alexandria?"

"Yes! Were you at Ostagar? Did you see my brother, Carver?"

"I was and I did. I met them before the battle, but I haven't seen them since." I saw her hope deflate.

"I was hoping for some news about them. We heard about Ostagar." Bethany gave me a curious look "What was a Dalish doing at Ostagar?"

I hesitated. "Fighting."

"I'm sure there's more to that story but I won't keep you. Anyone else give you trouble just tell them you know the Hawkes," she laughed. "Good luck in these troubled times and I hope we'll meet again."

"I hope Alexandria and Carver make it home. And good luck to you, Bethany." I really hoped she and the grey-haired woman that joined her when she walked away would make it out of Lothering before the Darkspawn came. And I really hoped that they would be reunited with Alexandria and Carver. For Shemlen, they were very respectful.

~~~

As we passed some Chasind folk and a villager arguing, we came across a cage with a rather large man inside. Curious, I stepped up to it.

"You are not one of my captors," he said gruffly. "I have nothing to say that will amuse you, Elf. Leave me in peace."

"You're a prisoner?" I asked. "Who put you here?"

"I'm in a cage, am I not? I've been placed here by the Chantry."

"The Revered Mother said he slaughtered an entire family. Even the children," Leliana explained.

"It is as she says. I am Sten of the Beresaad, the vanguard, of the Qunari peoples."

"Qunari?" I'd never heard of a Qunari.

"If you haven't heard of us, that is your own shortcoming. Though it matters little now. I shall die soon enough."

"This," Morrigan said, motioning to Sten. "Is a proud and powerful creature, trapped as prey for the Darkspawn. If you cannot see a use for him, I suggest releasing him for mercy's sake alone."

Alistair raised a brow at her. "Mercy?" he said. "I wouldn't have expected that from you."

"I would also suggest that Alistair take his place in the cage," she added.

"Yes, that's what I would have expected."

I shook my head while Leliana sighed.

"I suggest you leave me to my fate," Sten said.

"I find myself in need of skilled help." Morrigan was right. We could use his strength.

"No doubt. What help do you seek?"

"I am sworn to defend the land against the Blight."

"The Blight? Are you are a Grey Warden, then?" Was it obvious?

"Why do you ask?" Now that we knew Loghain was blaming us for the king's death, we had to be more careful on revealing ourselves.

"My people have heard legends of the Grey Wardens' strength and skill," Who hadn't? "Though I suppose not every legend is true." I wondered what he meant by that.

"Would the Revered Mother let you free?" I asked instead.

"Perhaps if you told her the Grey Wardens needed my assistance. It seems as likely as to bring my death as waiting here."

"Then I leave you for now."

"Farewell, then."

"To be left here to starve or to be taken by the Darkspawn," Leliana said, a sad tone to her voice. "No one deserves that, not even a murderer."

We turned away and started to head back to the Chantry. I stopped and turned back to the Qunari. Could I trust the Shemlen that placed him in that cage to free him? I had a skill that Tamlen had taught me once. I reached into my pack and pulled out lockpicking tools. I went back to the cage and worked on the lock. After a moment, I heard the click of the lock and I mentally thanked Tamlen. I opened the cage.

Sten looked astonished. "So it is done. I will follow you into battle. In doing so I shall find my atonement."

"Thank you, Sten. Glad to have you with us."

He stepped out of the cage. "May we proceed? I am eager to be elsewhere."

Since we had no other needs in Lothering, it was decided we would continue on to Redcliffe. Enroute to the village's edge, Alistair asked about Leliana's Sisterhood.

"Surely you were a Brother before becoming a Templar?" she said.

"I never actually became a Templar. I was recruited into the Grey Wardens before I took my final vows."

"Do you ever regret leaving the Chantry?"

"No, never! Do you?"

"Yes. You may not believe it, but I found peace there. The kind of peace I've never known."

"It used to get so quiet at the monastery that I would start screaming until one of the Brothers came running."

I laughed and Morrigan looked amused.

"I would tell them that I was just checking. You never know, right?"

"I... no, I never did anything like that. I enjoyed the quiet."

"Suit yourself. The look on their face was always priceless." Typical Alistair.

As we reached closer to the town's edge, some refugees stopped us. They stood in our path. "We done heard what was said. You're a Warden." Lovely. They had eavesdropped on us. "I don't know if you killed King Cailan, and Maker forgive me, I don't care. But that bounty on your head could feed a lot of hungry bellies. Attack!"

He and four others rushed at us. We easily dispatched them. We passed their bodies and headed up the ramp to the bridge out of Lothering. Only to find some Darkspawn ahead of the horde. Alistair and I ran head first into them, taking them by surprise. Morrigan used her magic, while Sten, Leliana, and Tristan didn't hold back. I was impressed by Sten's barehanded fighting. I could imagine his skill with a blade. After we made sure they were all dead, we made our way out of Lothering.