61: Morrigan's Offer

I opened the door to my room and was surprised at seeing Morrigan standing in front of the fireplace. She had changed from the shirt and pants she'd worn since we'd met to a light armor. "Do not be alarmed," she said. "'Tis only I."

"Is everything alright?" Why was Morrigan in my room?

"I am well. 'Tis you who are in danger. I have a plan, you see. A way out. The loop in your hole." She turned to face me. What was she prattling on about? "I know what happens when the Archdemon dies."

I only looked at her.

"I know a Grey Warden must be sacrificed and that sacrifice could be you." Her voice had an edge of concern to it. "I have come to tell you this does not need to be." How the hell did she know that when I didn't find out until five minutes ago?

"How did you know about this?"

"I know a great many things. How I know is not quite as important as what I am offering you, however. I offer a way out. A way out for all the Grey Wardens that there need be no sacrifice. A ritual... performed on the eve of battle in the dark of night."

I studied her. "Just what sort of ritual is this?" Maybe Alistair was right that she couldn't be trusted. What was she about?

"'Tis Old Magic from a time before the Circle of Magi was created. Some would call it Blood Magic but I think that means little to one like you." What was that supposed to mean?

"And from where did you get this ritual, Morrigan?"

"From Flemeth. Of course." I should have figured. "I have known about it for some time."

"So you knew about the sacrifice before Riordan told us?"

"I did. Would you have believed me if I had been the one to tell you? I have my doubts." She had a point but I would hear her out.

"Tell me about this ritual."

She walked over to the bed and sat.

"What I propose is this. Convince Alistair to lay with me. Here. Tonight. And from this ritual, a child shall be conceived within me."

I just looked at her.

"The child will bear the taint and when the Archdemon is slain, its essence will seek the child like a beacon. At this early stage, the child will absorb that essence and not perish. The Archdemon is still destroyed with no Grey Warden dying in the process." She wanted to sleep with Alistair and have a child with him!? Was she insane!?

"Why are you telling me? Why aren't you talking to Alistair about this?"

"Alistair despises me. You know this. He rarely listens to reason... but he would listen to you. He loves you with all his heart. I am not the only one who sees that, despite the tension that has come between you since the Landsmeet. You of all people could influence him. Think about what I offer you. The chance to avoid death. Or better yet, the chance to slay the Archdemon and live as a hero. No Grey Warden has ever done this. In return, I conceive a child, one who will be born with the soul of an Old God. After this is done, you allow me to walk away... and you do not follow. Ever. The child will be mine to raise as I wish."

I was silent a moment. I talk Alistair into this and he has a child with Morrigan. The very thought of him having a child with another woman hurt. But so had his words of duty in Denerim. I turned to the fireplace and thought over what she had just said. Riordan was going to slay the Archdemon. If he fell, then the task would fall to me. If I fell, it would be up to Alistair and Alistair alone to slay it. Then all of Ferelden's Grey Wardens will have fallen to end the Blight. Alistair was going to be king. I couldn't allow him to sacrifice himself. Knowing him, he'd kill the Archdemon just to get out of being king. And I loved him too much to think about the Archdemon's essence destroying him. If I fell, then I would die knowing that Alistair would be protected from the Archdemon's essence.