25: Saving Conner

We joined the First Enchanter and his Mages, who had managed to get to Redcliffe before us. Jowan was standing next to Irving, looking a bit on the uneasy side.

"Ah, there you are," Irving said. "We have brought lyrium and begun preparations for the ritual. We can start anytime."

"So only one person can go through?" I asked.

"Yes. We haven't sufficient lyrium at present to send more than one Mage into the Fade."

"Then let's do this now."

"I'm glad we decided to take this route," Alistair said. "This really is the best option."

"Very well," Irving said. "Who shall go into the Fade?"

Morrigan and Wynne had been trapped in the Fade for Creators know how long. And Jowan kept saying he wanted to redeem himself...

"Jowan will go."

A look of complete shock came over the Blood Mage's face. "What? Me? Are you sure?"

"What?" Alistair said behind me at the same time.

"Loose a Blood Mage into the Fade to meet a demon?" Irving asked in disbelief. "What if he takes control of it?"

"Jowen has yet to deceive us. It was he who suggested that someone enter the Fade to kill the demon to begin with. And this is his chance to redeem himself."

Irving narrowed his eyes at me. I held my ground, knowing he was leveling that look at me in an effort to get me to choose someone else. At least he didn't have Marethari's Disapproving Frown of Doom. "You trust too much and too quickly but I shall do as you ask."

That wasn't true. Jowan seemed like he was desperate to atone for his sins. Who was I to deny him a second chance?

"I'll... do my best. I promise," Jowan said, giving me a grateful look. But I saw fear in his eyes at knowing he would be the one to face the demon.

~~~

Jowan seemed nervous as he prepared to enter the Fade. He looked at me then at Isolde as if to remind him why he was doing this. "I will not let you down," he said.

"I'll hold you to that." I think he knew if he tried to deceive us now that I wouldn't hesitate to kill him. He took a deep breath before stepping forward. He took a handful of lyrium and then collapsed.

"Is that normal?" I asked. I'd never seen any of the rituals Mages did, even in my clan.

"Yes," Irving said. "Now we wait."

We all kept an eye on Jowan's form. Isolde rocked back and forth praying. Leliana prayed with her, their hands clasped together. I stole a glance at Alistair. He was absently biting his lip and I knew he would grasp the power of the lyrium he carried at a moment's notice if Jowan betrayed us. Morrigan looked bored. I never could read Sten. Tristan slept as only a dog could. Wynne watched Jowan intently. It felt as if strings were holding us all up, the tension was so thick. Finally, after what seemed like centuries, Jowan awoke. He seemed exhausted.

"It is done," he said, weakly. "She was a Desire Demon. She was powerful but she is dead. The boy is free." And then he passed out from the exhaustion I was sure that came with fighting a demon.

~~~

The nightmare the people of Redcliffe had endured was over. They set about burning their dead, sending them off into small boats and alighting them when they were a certain distance. I had never seen a funeral such as this. It was odd to see the Shem burn their dead instead of burying them. But Shemlen customs were not Dalish customs. I would have to ask Alistair about it later. We had saved all that we could but the village was less populated now. Afterward, Teagan and Isolde invited Alistair and I to see the Arl. Eamon lay on the bed, unmoving.