62: The Final March

Soundtrack:

Requiem for a Dream ~ Clint Mansell (The Final March)

Daybreak came and we gathered at the head of the army to begin our march to Denerim. I stood next to Alistair, Riordan, Teagan, and Eamon and looked over the army Alistair and I had worked to gather. Eamon was going to stay behind at Alistair's request while Teagan elected to march with us. He refused to stay behind. Dwarves, Mages, villagers, and Knights marched past us. I'd received word that the Dalish would meet us halfway there. I hoped this would be enough to stem the tide of Darkspawn. We'd gathered all the forces we could. We were sure the horde would reach Denerim ahead of us, thus we were in a race against time to get there. The lives of thousands hung in the balance and we would not forsake them. We had gathered an army to replace the one lost at Ostagar and I prayed to the Creators that it would be enough.

We met the Dalish Hunters a league outside of the Brecilian Forest. I saw many faces I knew. Fenarel, my old friend, partner in crime, and fellow Hunter from Clan Sabrae waved to me. I knew I had changed much since I saw him last and if he noticed he gave no sign.

"Realin!" he cried and we clasped forearms. "I always said you had the Creators' own luck. It is good to see you well."

"And you." I truly was happy to see him. And I would be glad to have him at my back in this battle.

"We have gathered what Hunters we could from all the clans. Not much compared to the warriors you lead, but it should help."

"Every little bit will help."

"May your blades find their marks and Creators' speed."

"Creators' speed." We parted and Fenarel returned to the other Hunters. It was more of the Dalish than I had expected. I had only expected Lanaya's Hunters, not all of the clans' Hunters. Lanaya must have sent word to everyone, calling them to war. Creators bless her.

~~~

We finally reached the country outside of Denerim. We were right, the horde had reached the capital first. I could see the Archdemon flying above the city and I could hear its roar as it circled high above. This was it. The battle we had been preparing for. Alistair and I took a few steps forward to calculate our push into the city. He looked around and then looked at me before walking past me and jogging up the stairs of a ruined house. I followed, stopping at the bottom of the stairs and wondering what in Thedas he was doing.

"Before us stands the might of the Darkspawn horde!" So he was going to give a speech to inspire the troops. Very kingly. He motioned to Denerim. "Gaze upon them now but fear them not!" He motioned to me. "The woman you see beside me is a Dalish Elf, raised to the ranks of the Grey Wardens!"

I went and stood next to him.

"And never a more glorious Grey Warden has there ever been! She has survived despite the odds and without her none of us would be here!" I really couldn't take all the credit. Alistair was by my side the entire time. He walked back down the stairs as he spoke. "Today, we save Denerim! Today we avenge the death of my brother, King Cailan."

I walked down the stairs and stood at Alistair's side, not as a Dalish or a general, but as a Grey Warden.

"But most of all, today we show the Grey Wardens that we remember and honor their sacrifice!" Alistair drew his sword and I drew my blades. "For Ferelden! For the Grey Wardens!"

The troops cheered and shouted and Alistair and I led the charge into Denerim. We charged the gates and the Darkspawn that were slaughtering what was left of Denerim's gate defenses.