35: Freeing Morrigan

We left without telling anyone. It was a two-day journey to the Wilds and Flemeth's hut. We were passing through an area with a ridge. As we approached it, an Emissary appeared on it. It looked at us for a moment before a pair of fireballs appeared in its hands. Before we could react and Alistair could put up his Templar guards, it combined them and threw the massive fireball it made at us. It exploded at our feet, sending us backward. Wynne was the first back to her feet. I had managed to get to one knee but I felt sapped. Alistair and Sten were still on the ground. Alistair shook his head and attempted to rise. Wynne looked at us and seemed to understand we were not in the best fighting condition. Darkspawn were coming at us from both directions. Alistair looked over at me. Wynne raised her staff in the air and twirled it over her head. A blue light emitted from her staff and hands. She threw her hands to the sides and I felt my energy return. I drew my swords and launched myself at the nearest Darkspawn. Alistair and Sten were on their feet a moment later, their blades cutting down Darkspawn. Whatever Wynne had done had given us the strength we needed to fight. Wynne went after the Emissary. I finished off the Darkspawn I was engaging and ran up the ridge. I snuck behind the Emissary and surprised it with a quick sweep of my blade. His head landed a moment after his body crashed to the ground. I went back down to the others.

"Good hit," Alistair said.

I walked over to Wynne, who was holding her head. "Oh, hmm. That was interesting... and draining," she said.

"What was that?" I asked, concerned.

"I called forth the spirit that sustains me so it could lend us aid. I did not realize it would take this much out of me. It seemed a good idea at the time, if a little rash. I think I may have weakened the spirit a little."

"So you could kill yourself doing that?"

"Well... er, that's certainly conceivable. I guess I shouldn't be using that particular trick to entertain children at parties."

I smiled.

"I promise I'll be careful. And thank you. Your concern is touching."

"What is she talking about?" Alistair asked. "What spirit?"

"I'll explain when we return to camp, Alistair," I said.

We continued a short distance and destroyed a barrier that seemed to trigger another group of Darkspawn.

"Well, jeez," I muttered.

We easily dispatched those ones and continued on our journey.

"So, tell me, Realin. How did you become a Grey Warden?" Wynne asked.

"I met Duncan and he liked me?"

"Ah so you're keeping this tale to yourself, I see. Fair enough. Forgive me for prying."

I sighed. "It's just a tale that I have trouble sharing, but the short version is I was tainted and only the Joining could save me."

"Then you became a Warden out of necessity. But Duncan must have also seen something special in you. The Order does not take in recruits just to save their life. You must be proud to be able to represent your clan and the Dalish as a Grey Warden."

"I was honored to have been chosen by Duncan." I guess in a way I was. Not many elves, city-born or Dalish, get an opportunity to become Wardens.

"Sometimes it gives me comfort to think that everything will end up the way it's supposed to, that it will be all right. You were chosen: you survived the Joining when others did not. Perhaps it was meant to be."

I made a glance at Alistair over my shoulder. "Perhaps it was."

Alistair walked up behind me and put an arm over my shoulder. "And she is proving herself to be more than Duncan expected," he said with a grin.