37: Orzammar

Soundtrack:

Pride of the Dwarves ~ Jamie Christopherson (Orzammar)

We made for the Dwarven city of Orzammar, our second stop to have the treaties fulfilled by ancient Grey Warden allies. As we passed into the Frostback Mountains we approached a group of six men. When we moved closer they rushed us.

"About time a Warden showed!" one cried. "Loghain sends his regards!"

The name seemed to anger Alistair. He rushed forward, slamming his shield into the nearest bounty hunter. I ran at his side, my own blades carving a crimson path. They had fallen before the others could barely react. I slipped into the Elven tongue as I cursed Loghain's tactics. First an assassin, now bounty hunters?

"That was... interesting," Wynne said. "They very mention of the name and you two are upon them as if they were Darkspawn."

I shook my head. Wynne seemed to understand. We went to the gates of Orzammar without any more run ins.

"King Loghain will not suffer the delay of his appointed messenger!" A man was saying to a very bored-looking gate guard.

"King?" Alistair asked. "Teagan was right."

"Enough!" The gate guard said. "This land is held in trust for the sovereign Dwarven kings. I cannot allow entry at this time."

"King Loghain demands the allegiance of the deshyr or lords or whatever you call them in your Assembly! I am his appointed messenger!"

"I don't care if you're the king's wiper, Orzammar will have none but its own until our throne is settled."

I walked up at that point. "I have urgent need to speak with your king," I said.

Loghain's messenger looked at me. "Who doesn't? If I don't get in, no one should."

"Orzammar has no king. Endrin Aeducan returned to the Stone not three weeks ago, sick over the loss of his sons. The Assembly has gone through a dozen votes without agreeing on a successor. If it is not settled soon, we risk a civil war."

I pulled the Dwarven treaty from my pack. I had the way in. And I wanted to rub it in the face of Loghain's messenger. Perhaps a bit rash and dangerous for me to do so, but by the time Loghain had word of Alistair and I being here we would have moved on to the Elves. I held it out to the gate guard.

"I am a Grey Warden. This treaty obliges Orzammar to aid me."

The guard took the treaty.

"The Wardens killed King Cailan and nearly doomed Ferelden! They are sworn enemies of King Loghain!" I was very close to snapping his neck if he referred to Loghain as king once more.

"Well, that is the royal seal. That means only the Assembly is authorized to address it. Grey Warden, you may pass." He handed the treaty back to me.

"Thank you." I returned it to my pack.

Loghain's messenger wasn't too happy. "You're letting in a traitor? And a foreigner?" he cried. "In the name of King Loghain," He pointed at me. "I demand you execute this... stain on the honor of Ferelden!"

I looked amused. Alistair shifted into a defensive stance. I shook my head to tell him and the others to stand down. "Run to your false king. The Dwarves will not hear him today," I said, dismissively.

"You... you'll hear of this. King Loghain will see you quartered!" He turned on his heel and marched down the steps. Zevran gave him a wave as he retreated. Morrigan chuckled. Alistair gave me an approving nod.