9: Lothering

Tavern Brawl ~ Inon Zur (Tavern Theme)

Cut ~ Plumb (Leliana's Theme)

On the bridge just outside of Lothering, a man approached us. On either side, men lounged. "Wake up, gentleman!" he said. The others slowly stood and moved to flank him. "More travelers to attend to. Led by an Elf, of all things."

I didn't like the way he'd said that.

The man to his left spoke. "Err... they don't look much like them others, you know. Uh... maybe we should just let these ones pass..." He sounded dim-witted. Apparently, this one had been badgered into service.

"Nonsense!" the leader said before turning back to us. "Greetings, travelers!"

"Highwaymen," Alistair said. "Preying on those fleeing the Darkspawn I suppose."

"They are fools to get in our way," Morrigan stated. "I say we teach them a lesson."

I had to agree with her.

"Now is that a way to greet someone?" The highwayman tsked. "A simple ten silvers and you're free to move on."

"You should listen to your friend," I said. "We're no refugees."

"What did I tell you? No wagons. And this one looks armed."

I wasn't armed. I had a pair of swords and a bow on my back for the hell of it.

"The toll applies to everyone, Hanric. That's why it's a toll and not, say, a refugee tax."

"Oh, right... Even if you're no refugee, you still gotta pay."

We looked at each other. How thick could one get?

"Forget it," I said. I wasn't going to let these Shem badger us. "We're not paying."

"Well, I can't say I'm pleased to hear that," the leader said. "We have rules, you know."

"Right," Hanric said. "We get to ransack your corpse, then. Those are the rules."

"Really?" I scoffed. "You can certainly try."

"Well, this is going nowhere. Let's finish this, gents!"

We drew our weapons before he'd finish speaking. When he and his men attacked, we were ready. It didn't take long for them to give up.

"All right!" the leader cried. "We surrender! We... we... we're just trying to get by, before the Darkspawn get us all!"

"You picked the wrong target," I said, heatedly.

"Yes! Yes! Of... of course! We should've been more careful. I'm sorry."

"Then start running. And don't come back."

The highwayman looked relieved. "Bless you! The Darkspawn can have this place!" He and his remaining men ran like said Darkspawn were hot on their tails. Looking about, I saw a dead knight and knelt next to him.

"I guess even a Templar can be overwhelmed," Alistair said. He was clutching a note. I took that and a locket off his neck. "What are you doing?"

"We should deliver this note and locket to his people. They should at least know what happened to him."

Alistair nodded his approval. I briefly read the note so I knew who should be told.

~~~

We walked down a ramp from the bridge and stopped at the landing overlooking the village.

"Well, there it is. Lothering. Pretty as a painting," Alistair said, his former good humor seeming to return. Our conversation earlier on the road seemed to help more than he had let on.