13: Preparation

We left the Chantry and went to find this Murdock. He was on the other side of some archers practicing. We approached two men talking. One wore heavy armor while the other wore plain clothing. The armorless man had dark black hair and his mustache looked as if a squirrel had taken up residence beneath his nose.

"Still no sign of them coming from the castle, Murdock," The armored man was saying.

"Tell them to maintain watch. I don't want a surprise attack before the sun goes down."

The armored man placed a fist to his chest. "Yes, Ser. What should we do until then?"

"Pray. And hope for a miracle." The other man ran off and Murdock turned to us. He looked me up and down. "So you're the Grey Warden, are you? I didn't think they made women Grey Wardens."

I raised my brow. "And why would you think that?"

"For more reasons than you'd care to hear, I bet. Still, there's no reason to think Bann Teagan's lost his mind."

"Pig," I heard Leliana mutter behind me. I was half expecting a snide comment from Morrigan.

"We aren't going to turn aside anyone who wants to help, though. Even if they're an elf. Don't take me for being an ingrate or nothing."

Typical Shemlen. Right when I thought he was more worried about the fact I'm a woman, he mentions my race.

"Mhmm," Morrigan said.

"Well, we do want to help however we can," Alistair said. "You can trust us."

"Name's Murdock, mayor of what's left of this village, providing we aren't killed and hauled off to the castle tonight."

"You can call me, Realin."

"Fair enough. What can I do for you?"

"What can we do to help?"

"We need what little armor and weapons we got repaired. And quickly or half of us will be fighting without either. Owen's the only blacksmith who can do it but the stubborn fool refuses to even talk. If we're to be ready for tonight, we'll need that crotchety bastard's help."

"I'll see what I can do."

"I'd appreciate it. If he doesn't help, he'll die like the rest of us. What good will that do to anyone then?"

We then went to find the blacksmithy.

~~~

The door, of course, was locked when I tried the handle.

"Go away, curse you! Leave me in peace! You've already taken everything in my stores! There's nothing left!"

Alistair looked at me and shrugged. Sten had gone to help fortify the barricades better saying we didn't need him to talk to a blacksmith.

"Is this Owen, the blacksmith?" I asked. "I need to speak with you."

"Oh? Who is that? What do you want? I've been through enough."

"I'd prefer not to speak through a door. Can I come in?"

"Certainly not! I don't know you and I don't want to! Off you go!"

"He is a crotchety bastard, isn't he?" Morrigan commented. I ignored her.

"I need to talk to the repairs for the militia."

"That so? If Murdock wants any more weapons, you can give him the same answer I did: he can make them himself."