3: Tainted

Soundtrack:

If I Could Be Where You Are ~ Enya (The Mirror/Losing Tamlen)

Targos Town ~ Inon Zur (Leaving Home)  

When I opened my eyes I was in the Keeper's aravel, or wagon for those of you who aren't familiar with the Dalish. Perhaps wagon isn't the best description. It's where we live, sleep, and eat. The aravels are our homes and many times they are referred to as "landships" by the Shem. Marethari, or Tamlen, were nowhere to be seen. I stood and went outside, where I was greeted by Fenarel, a good friend and fellow Hunter. His blond hair was to his shoulders and he kept it pulled back out of his face. His vallaslin was simple. And I could see worry in his grey eyes.

"You're awake! You have the Creators' own luck, Realin."

I must have had a confused look on my face.

"You're back at camp. Everyone is worried sick about you. How do you feel?"

"How did I get here, Fenarel?"

"A Shem brought you back two days ago. You don't remember him?"

"I've been here for two days!?"

"He was a Grey Warden and appeared out of nowhere with you in his arms. You were delirious with fever. He said he found you outside of a cave in the forest, unconscious and alone. He left you here and ran off again. The Keeper has been using the old magic to heal you." A Grey Warden! Here? I couldn't believe what Fenarel was telling me. I had grown up hearing stories about them. And to think I was brought home by one and I couldn't remember! Then I realized he said I was found alone.

"The Shemlen was a Grey Warden? And what about Tamlen?"

"So he claimed. Most of the Hunters are out looking for him right now. The Keeper wanted to talk to you as soon as you awoke. Stay here. I'll get her." He walked away.

My mind raced. Where was Tamlen? Why didn't the Grey Warden bring him back, too? Was he looking for Tamlen in the cave? I told him to leave the mirror alone. Maybe going into the ruins was a bad idea. What happened and why couldn't I remember? Keeper Marethari approached me. She wore a green dress and her grey hair was cut at the shoulder. Her vallaslin covered her face. Keepers, their Firsts, and anyone else who had magic had the most elaborate vallaslin when they came of age. I saw one whose entire face was covered. I think Zatherian, Keeper of Clan Alerion, was the exception. He was the only Mage that had chosen a simple one.

"I see you are awake, Realin," she said. "It is fortunate Duncan found you when he did. I know not what dark power held you, but it nearly bled the life from you. It was difficult even for my magic to keep you alive."

"Duncan?" I asked. "Is that the one who brought me back?"

"Yes. He introduced himself as a Grey Warden. Duncan thought there may have been Darkspawn creatures inside the cave. Is that true?"

"There were walking corpses and strange creatures."

"Walking corpses? Dark magic, but not Darkspawn. I know not what the other creatures could have been. What else did you find? What is the last thing you remember?"

"A mirror. Tamlen touched it."

"A mirror? And it caused all this? I have never heard of such a thing in all the lore we've collected," She sighed and turned away. "I was hoping for answers when you woke, but there are only more questions. And Tamlen remains missing. He is more important than any lore in these ruins. If he is as sick as you were, his condition is grave. Duncan returned to the cave to search for Darkspawn, but we cannot rely on him to search for Tamlen as well. We must go ourselves and quickly." Keeper Marethari turned back to me. "Do you feel well enough to show us the way, Realin? Without you, we will not find it."