66: King Alistair

Soundtrack:

The Call ~ Celtic Woman (The Coronation)

The River Sings ~ Enya (Celebration)

Alistair made his way to the throne. He stopped at the bottom of the stairs and glanced at me. I nodded in encouragement. He took a deep breath and climbed the stairs to where Eamon and the Grand Cleric stood. He was wearing his brother's armor for the occasion. The Grand Cleric approached him and he knelt. She placed the crown, a simple thick golden band that set on top of his head and blessed his reign in the name of the Maker. When she finished, he stood. She bowed and he returned it. Alistair then turned to the gathered cheering nobles. He rose a hand to accept his place as king. The roar of their cheers and applause was enough to deafen anyone. We Grey Wardens stood redeemed in the eyes of the people because of Alistair and I.

He waited until the cheering died before making his first official speech as king.

"My friends," he began. "We are gathered to celebrate those responsible for our victory. Of those who stood against the Darkspawn siege of Denerim, there is one in particular who deserves commendation. The one who led the final charge against the Archdemon remains with us still, an inspiration to all she saved that day."

He motioned to me and I ascended the stairs and went to stand next to the king. It was an odd title to call Alistair now. I would always see him as the sarcastic and sometimes silly Grey Warden I had traveled with and loved.

"Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you Realin Mahariel, the Hero of Ferelden, the first Grey Warden to defeat the Blight since Garahel four centuries ago."

The nobles applauded and cheered. I think my companions cheered the loudest. It was strange to me to be accepted by so many and hailed a hero. Surely no Dalish had ever accomplished this.

"Let it be known that the Arling of Amaranthine, once the land of Arl Howe, is now granted to the Grey Wardens. There they can rebuild, following the example of those who went before them." He turned back to me. "What are your plans? Will you remain with the Grey Wardens?"

I hadn't considered leaving the Order. I couldn't be a Hunter again. Not after all the war and death I'd seen and the fame I now had. Nothing would be the same. My life would never be the same. I couldn't go back to m clan and act as if nothing had changed when so much had.

"The Darkspawn are still a threat," I said. "The Grey Wardens need me." Considering, since Alistair was now King of Ferelden, I was the only Grey Warden left to Ferelden.

"That they do. I'm glad one of us is staying with them, at least." He turned back to the crowd. "With the passing of Duncan at Ostagar, the Grey Wardens are currently leaderless. I ask that Realin take his place as Ferelden's Commander of the Grey."

I blinked. Had I just heard him right?

He turned to me. "Will you lead the Grey Wardens?"

"It will be an honor. I only hope I do his memory justice."

"I have no doubt that you will." He smiled. I was not used to this at all. This had to be his revenge for naming him as king. "There's a group of Ferelden citizens waiting outside to get a look at their hero. I suggest you make at least a brief appearance before they storm the gate." He chuckled. "Just tell the guard when you are ready."

The nobles and my friends began to mingle about.

"So, we made it. I'm impressed, aren't you? The odds were completely against one of us actually getting to the Archdemon... but of course, you would make it. I knew you would. You are lucky like that." He chuckled again. Then he sighed. "I guess Morrigan was telling the truth after all. About the... ritual. The rest of the Grey Wardens haven't arrived from Orlais but they've already sent... questions. What should I tell them?"