47: The Heart of the Forest

Soundtrack:

Faraway ~ Nave Artificial (The Ruins in the Forest)

With the branch gifted to us by the Grand Oak, we were able to pass through the barrier that the forest had erected to protect its heart. Minutes afterward, we ran into Swiftrunner.

"The forest has not been vigilant enough. Still you come," he said. "You are stronger than we could have anticipated. The Dalish chose well. But you do not belong here, outsider. Leave this place!" As he spoke, he was joined by others.

"You don't actually expect us to just leave, do you?" I asked.

"You came even though we warned you not to. You are as treacherous as the Dalish. We will not allow harm to come to Witherfang!"

"Does he not realize she is Dalish?" Oghren asked in a low voice.

"Apparently not," Zevran responded in a voice just as low.

"Why do you call the Dalish treacherous?" I asked. "You attacked them."

"And they deserved no less! You are an intruder in our home! You come to kill as all your kind do! We have learned this lesson well. Here Witherfang protects us. Here we learn our names and are beloved! We will defend Witherfang and this place with our lives!" He howled and launched at me.

I dodged to the left and drew my swords. He landed where I had been moments before. He had attacked me; all bets were off. The three werewolves with him attacked. Sten dispatched one when it tried to pounce him. After a few moments, Swiftrunner and the remaining werewolves backed away. I advanced on them, a few paces ahead of the others. I raised a sword, intent on Swiftrunner. Suddenly, I was knocked on my back and slid backward, covering the space between myself and the others. I stopped at Alistair's feet. A white wolf barked and snarled but did not advance. Alistair helped me to my feet. The wolf howled as the werewolves retreated and then followed them.

"Are you alright?" Alistair asked, his hand still on my arm from when he helped me up. And I could hear the concern in his voice.

"Been a while since I've been knocked on my ass like that, but yes, I am alright. Let's go see where those cowards have run and hidden themselves." We jogged in the direction they had retreated. We came upon another werewolf. He took a few steps back when he saw us.

"We are invaded!" he cried. "Intruders have deceived their way into the forest's heart! Fall back to the ruins! Protect the Lady!" He howled and he and several werewolves fled.

"I didn't realize we could scare the Blight out of a werewolf," Zevran said

"I want to know who this Lady is they're protecting." I walked past the ruined archway and stopped. Before us was a massive ruin. The memory came unbidden.

 "It looks like the Shem was telling the truth. But these ruins look more human than Elven," Tamlen said. 

I stood looking at what used to be a massive building. It was leaning and looked as if the earth had claimed half of it.

"I think this is it," Alistair said, stepping beside me. "Werewolf city. Kind of flea heaven, isn't it?" I must have had some sort of look on my face, because he suddenly became worried. "Is everything alright?"

I sighed. "Yes." He didn't seem convinced. I sure wasn't. My last venture into ruins in the middle of the forest didn't end happily. "Anyone attempts to touch any mirrors, I'm kicking their ass." I hesitated a moment longer before entering the massive doorway, the door having long rotted away.