8: The Last of the Wardens

When I awoke, I was laying in a bed in my smallclothes. I blinked several times, surprised I wasn't dead. I sat up and looked around, noticing I was in a hut. Where was I?

"Ah, your eyes finally open."

I looked to see Morrigan walking towards me.

"Mother shall be pleased." How did I get to the hut Morrigan shared with her mother?

"What happened to the Darkspawn?" I asked. How in the hell did I get here? I didn't think Alistair would have been able to carry me and fight off the outnumbering Darkspawn. I knew he had been injured as well. I'd heard him cry out.

"You were injured and then Mother rescued you. Do you not remember?"

I wondered how many days I lost this time. "I remember being overwhelmed by Darkspawn."

"Mother managed to save you and your friend, though 'twas a close call. What is important is that you both live. The man who was to respond to your signal quit the field. The Darkspawn won your battle."

"What?" Had I just heard her right? We fought our way to the top of that tower only to have Loghain retreat when we lit the beacon? That bastard.

"What happened to the Grey Wardens? The king?" I was sure I knew the answer, but I didn't want to say it.

"Those he abandoned were massacred. Your friend...," She trailed off as if she wasn't sure how to word what she was going to say. "He is not taking it well."

"Alistair?"

"The suspicious, dim-witted one who was with you before, yes."

I had to smile.

"He is outside by the fire. Mother asked to see you when you awoke."

"Is he alright? How severe were his injuries?"

"You were worst than he, but he is alright. Nothing Mother couldn't heal."

"Thank you, Morrigan," I said as I stood. "For helping us."

She seemed shocked that I thanked her. "I... You are welcome, though Mother did most of the work. I am no healer."

I nodded and went to find my clothes.

"I will stay and make something to eat."

Instead of the grey Dalish armor that I had worn since leaving home, I found a different type of armor. It was made of studded brown leather and covered what the Dalish armor hadn't. The skirt was maybe an inch longer. I put it on and found it fit perfectly. Morrigan's mother must have decided I needed more protection; my old armor had left my midriff and lower back bare. I replaced my swords, bow, and quiver and went outside. When I walked outside, Alistair was staring over the water of the swamp. I must have been out since last night; the sun was inching towards the western horizon. Judging by its position there was still an hour or two before twilight.

Morrigan's mother looked towards the door when I stepped outside and towards them. "See?" She said, turning back to Alistair. "Here is your fellow Grey Warden."

He spun around. I could see the worry on his face melt into relief.

"You worry too much, young man."

"You... you're alive!" The relief was evident in his voice as well. "I thought you were dead for sure."

I gave him a reassuring smile. "It takes more than a few Darkspawn to kill me." Hell, the taint didn't kill me. Of course, I had my Keeper's help... I noticed there was a sadness in his eyes.