29: Haven

We could find on no map a Haven anywhere in the mountains. We were going to have to rely on Genitivi's journal for directions. Surprisingly, Genitivi's directions were very accurate. We found the village of Haven and approached it. Haven was nestled in the mountains themselves. The higher up we went, the colder it got. We were stopped by a guard at the entrance to the village.

"What are you doing in Haven, knife ears?" he asked. "There is nothing for you here."

"I have business here," Alistair said, seeing that he wasn't going to speak to an Elf.

"No, you do not. I would have been informed if someone was expecting a visitor."

"Then excuse us and allow us to pass through."

"You may trade for supplies at the shop, if you wish. Then I suggest you and your companions leave."

Alistair looked at us as the guard walked away. "Did it just get a lot colder?" Alistair asked. "Or is it just me?"

"They are hiding something," Morrigan said. "'Tis obvious, is it not?"

We walked through Haven. There were no streets, just icy and worn paths. Tristan ran into a house and we followed. We found the mabari licking what looked to me to be an altar of some kind. And it looked to be covered in blood.

"Stop licking that, Tristan," I said.

"I was not expecting to find something so... unsettling," Leliana said.

"Used for food preparation, perhaps?" Alistair suggested.

"I don't think so. Even a raw halla doesn't bleed that much," I said.

"I was trying to be optimistic. The other explanation is slightly more disturbing."

"That is human blood," Morrigan said.

"And she goes for the slightly more disturbing option."

"That's not what I wanted to hear," I said.

We stepped outside and heard a child chanting. "Come, come, bonny Lynne. Tell us, tell us where you've been. Were you up, were you down? Chasing rabbits 'round the town. Come, come, bonny Lynne. Tell us, tell us where you've been."

"That's not unnerving at all," Zevran said.

"Come, come, bonny Lynne. We've a bed to put you in. It is soft, it is warm. It will shelter from the storm. Come, come bonny Lynne. We've a bed to put you in. Dear, dear, bonny Lynne. Sleeps the peaceful crib within. A mossy stone, a finger bone. No one knows but Lynne alone. Dear, dear, bonny Lynne. Sleeps the peaceful crib within." I approached him as he chanted. He looked up as I approached. "Who are you? You shouldn't be here."

"Where is everyone else?" I asked.

The village seemed to be empty save for the guard and the boy. He pointed up the hill. "In the Chantry. Mother wanted me to go to the Chant, but she doesn't get to tell me what to do anymore! I'm sick of listening to Father Eirik along with the babies and the girls. Soon I'll be old enough to go up the mountain and...," He trailed off as if he were about to say too much. I had never heard of a male priest being referred to as Father only Brother, but I was more curious about what was up that mountain.

"Go up the mountain?"

He shrugged. "Nothing. It's just nicer up there. You wouldn't understand. Lowlanders don't belong here."

We went in the direction the boy had indicated.

~~~