52: Rescuing Anora

Soundtrack:

Diem Ex Dei ~ Globus (Howe Estate)

Before we made for Howe's estate, we headed to Brother Genitivi's house. He had said next time we were in Denerim to come by. And I wanted to make sure he'd gotten home in one piece. So to speak.

"Will the Tower ever be rebuilt?" Alistair asked Wynne.

"I don't know," she said, sadly. "A great number of people died. It will be difficult to imagine rebuilding with that cloud hanging over everything for many years to come."

"Do you think you'll be there? To help rebuild, I mean? Once this is all over with?"

"I cannot say. Even if I survive this Blight... I am a very old woman, Alistair."

"Why? Because of some grey hair?"

I smiled.

"You are a formidable woman, Wynne. You could see that it happens."

"I think you overestimate the number of years I have left. But perhaps you are right. Or perhaps the memories of what happened there... will be too strong for me to face."

"I have a hard time believing that."

"Well, it's good to have someone that believes in me so. Now if I could only feel the same way myself. That would be something."

"Ah, Wynne," Zevran said. "Don't be so hard on yourself. You've saved all of our behinds a few times. I have to agree with Alistair."

"As do I," I agreed.

"Thank you. You are wonderful people."

We arrived at Genitivi's house and I knocked. The door opened and Genitivi's face split into a wide grin. "If it isn't the champion who succeeded in the quest for the Sacred Urn!" he said. "I had not expected to see you so soon! Come in! Come in!" It had actually been several months since we rescued him from the Cult of Andraste. He led us to his sitting room. The foot had managed to be saved but he walked with a very noticeable limp and a cane. "I've written to the Chantry, telling them of your adventures. They are interested in having me lead an expedition! What do you think of that? I'm quite excited."

"That's great news." I still wasn't sure about revealing the location of the Urn to all of Thedas. I still felt it would be exploited by the so-called faithful.

"You made this all possible. I could never thank you quite enough but I'm certainly going to try. Here." He handed me a dagger and sheath that would attach to my arm and could retract and extend with a flick of my wrist. "Take this. I want you to have it. It will certainly do more good in your hands than lying around this dusty house, eh? And the Arl is in Denerim for the Landsmeet? I was relieved to hear he is alive and well. It really is a miracle. And now if you'll excuse me, I have so much to prepare for. I wish Weylon was here to see all this..."

"Thank you, Genitivi. And good luck."

We made for Howe's estate but ran into trouble. Of course. We were passing a flight of stairs that led to an abandoned estate when a man appeared at the top of them. "And so here is the mighty Grey Warden at long last," he said. "The Crows send their greetings, once again."

"Sheesh, you guys don't give up easily do you?" I quipped.

"So they sent you, Taliesen," Zevran said, stepping up to my right side. "Or did you volunteer for the job?"