67: Going Home

Soundtrack:

The Heart of the Forest ~ Jeremy Soule (The Dalish)

I looked around to make sure I hadn't forgotten anything. My pack was at my side, my swords, bow, and quiver were on my back. The Warden Pendent, along with the one Alistair had given me, hung about my neck. I sighed and left the room I'd been staying in, closing the door behind me. I said my goodbyes to Eamon, who I swear had a look of relief in his eyes, and Teagan, who wished me luck, and Tristan and I made our way to the doors of the palace.

"Leaving without saying goodbye?" Alistair asked from behind me. I had actually hoped to avoid him.

"Apparently not," I muttered before I turned to him. "Before I go to Amaranthine, I'm taking your advice."

"You're going home?"

"For a couple weeks. I need to regain some of my Dalishness, as you put it."

"I'd like to come with you."

"Don't you have king things to do? You really aren't exactly able to go traipsing around the Brecilian Forest looking for the Sabrae Clan with me."

"Then consider it a king thing."

"Alistair..." This wasn't going to help things at all. I was leaving because of him. I just didn't have the heart to tell him that.

"I actually want to discuss an alliance with the Dalish. And I don't think I can find your clan without your help."

I gave him a look but I could see he wasn't going to take No for an answer. Unfortunately. And truthfully, I wasn't even sure if he was really wanting an alliance or he was just wanting to annoy the hell out of me by following me. Or already trying to escape his duties as king.

"Fine. I'll meet you in the courtyard."

I waited in the courtyard, expecting a full escort, and contemplating slipping away before he realized I was gone. I tried my best to ignore the stares from the servants, nobles, and soldiers already there. My Elven hearing picked up many voices talking about the Hero of Ferelden and the new Warden-Commander. I was truly surprised to see only Alistair walk towards me.

"No guards?" I asked.

"You and Tristan are plenty. I left Eamon in charge until I return."

"Keep up, then."

~~~

We had traveled for a few days. It reminded me of our early days. Of course, then we had Morrigan with us. Alistair kept pace with me almost as if he were Dalish as well, used to my speed and gait, although our conversations were sparse. I led us to the point where I had last seen my clan. So many memories. We camped where I had once lived, signs of us having ever been there having been reclaimed by the forest. We didn't say much before we went to sleep that night. I didn't really want to speak to him as it was. The best way for a break to heal was for the bone to be cleanly broken, not a piece still clinging to the rest. We were going to have to go our separate ways and his very presence kept reminding me of that. I found myself wondering what the real reason he was accompanying me was as I drifted off to sleep clinging to the memory of happier times.

The next morning, I rose before Alistair. There was something I needed to do. I was going to go back to the cave. I remembered where it was located as if I had been there yesterday. As I left, Tristan rose to follow.