44: Promises Kept

We made our way back to Orzammar, managing not to have many run ins with Darkspawn, spiders, or deepstalkers. Once back in the city, we quickly made our way back to the Hall of the Assembly. The guard escorted us into the hall, where the deshyrs were arguing. Big surprise.

"Lords of the Assembly!" Bandelor cried. "I call for order! This argument gets us nowhere!"

"Then why these delaying tactics?" Bhelen asked, his voice as confident as always. "I call for a vote right now. My father has one living child to assume the Aeducan throne. Who would deny him that?"

"Your father made me swear on his deathbed you would not succeed him," Harrowmont said.

"I apologize for the interruption, Lord Steward," the guard said. "But the Grey Warden has returned." Only Oghren and I had gone into the middle of the floor. The others waited at the side.

"Well, Warden?" Bhelen said. "What news do you bring?" I knew he was expecting Branka at my side, not her estranged husband.

"I bear a crown from the Paragon Caridin for his chosen king," I answered, my voice ringing clear throughout the hall. There were gasps and murmurs from the gathered deshyrs.

"Caridin was trapped in the body of a golem," Oghren said. "Realin granted him the mercy he sought, releasing him and destroying the Anvil of the Void. Before he died, Caridin forged a crown for Orzammar's next king chosen by the Ancestors themselves!"

"I would like to believe Oghren's word," Harrowmont said. "But it's well known the Grey Warden is Bhelen's hireling."

"Silence!" Bandelor raised his hands. He took the crown from my hands and examined Caridan's handiwork. "This crown is Paragon make and bears House Ortan's ancient seal. Tell us, Realin. Whom did Caridin choose?"

"He wished me to give it to whomever I chose."

"Why would a Paragon trust someone who knows nothing of us with such a decision?" Harrowmont protested. "This is preposterous!"

"We've argued in these chambers for too long," Bandelor said. "The will of the Paragon is that the Grey Warden decide."

I really hoped I wouldn't have to do this again. All eyes were on me. "I grant the crown to Bhelen." I kept my word. I only hoped that Bhelen would keep his.

"At last," Bhelen said. "This farce is ended and I can take my rightful place on my father's throne."

Oghren and I retreated to the side of the chamber and joined the rest of our party, while the deshyrs descended to the floor. They took their staves and began a rhythmic pounding of them on the floor as Bhelen descended the stairs from where he had been standing. He approached Bandelor and knelt before him.

The Steward placed the crown upon his head. "Let the Memories find you worthy, first amidst the lords of the houses, the king of Orzammar."

Bhelen stood. "Do you acknowledge me as king?" he asked Harrowmont.

"I... cannot defy a Paragon. The throne is yours..., King Bhelen." He went down to one knee and bowed his head.

"Then as my first act as king, I call for this man's execution! Guards, seize him!"

A look of horror came over Harrowmont's face as the guards came for him.

"I did not give you that crown so you could be a tyrant," I said.

"You know better than anyone the war facing us, Realin. Orzammar cannot afford to be divided. Anyone undermining my reign is serving only the Darkspawn. I will return to my palace to gather my generals and prepare our forces for the surface." I was glad that he would be keeping his word. "I will see you there. You have my gratitude for all you've done for me."