34: Wynne's Secret

The first night after making camp, Wynne approached me. "I think I owe you an explanation for what happened on the road a few days ago," she said.

"You mean when you collapsed after the battle?" I asked.

"You should know that... something happened to me at the Tower, before you came along. Remember my apprentice, Petra?"

"Yes." She'd been worried about Wynne going into the Tower and had even asked me to keep an eye on the old Mage.

"She encountered a demon in the Tower. It would have killed her if I hadn't intervened. I saved her life that day but I did not survive that encounter with the demon." That didn't make any sense. Either I was speaking with a ghost or she was exaggerating.

"But you're standing right here."

Wynne seemed to sense my confusion. "Let me explain fully. I engaged a very powerful demon to rescue Petra. It sapped me of all my energy and will and left me drained. It took everything I had to defeat it and when I was done, I no longer had the strength to keep my heart beating. I remember my life ebbing away. Everything receded from me... sound, light... I remember being enveloped in complete, impenetrable darkness. And then I sensed a presence enfolding me and cradling me, whispering softly to me. The sensation is impossible to describe. I was being... held back, firmly but gently, as a mother would a child eager to slip from her grasp. I felt life and warmth flowing through my veins again. I began to become aware of small sounds. And the discomfort of my hip pressing into the cold stone of the Tower floor." Which explained Petra's concern about Wynne going into the Tower with us and Wynne's talk of death earlier.

"So you were never really completely dead then?"

"The Fade contains spirits both benevolent and malicious. The benevolent spirits seldom make themselves known because they want nothing to do with mortals, unlike the demons. It was one of those spirits that saved me. Without it, I would be dead. And it has not left me. It is with me, even now, bonded to me. You see, I am supposed to be dead. It is the spirit that is keeping me in this world and this is not the way of things. Perhaps the spirit did not expect this but it is weakening, gradually. I am living on borrowed time."

"How long will the spirit last?"

"I do not know. I can feel when the spirit weakens so I should have fair warning. But come, let us not talk about this. There is time yet."

I nodded before I turned and walked towards the fire.

Zevran stopped me before I reached it.

"I have a question, if I may," he said.

"Go ahead."

"Well, here is the thing: I swore an oath to serve you, yes? And I understand the quest you're on and this is all very fine and well. My question pertains to what you intend to do with me once this business is over with. As a point of curiosity."

"You could go if you wanted." I wasn't going to force him into my service once we defeated the Blight.

He seemed surprised at my answer. "Could I? And what if I didn't wish to leave?"

"Well, I could always use a friend. I highly doubt I will be able to return to the life I once led."

Of course, I didn't completely trust him yet. Just because he saved our lives a few times didn't mean he wouldn't turn around and take them.

"Indeed? Hmm, I might even be glad to call myself such, come to think of it. It is good to know what my options might be. But that is for another time. For now, we have much to do, yes?" He retreated to his tent and I took a bowl of food over to Tristan, who was digging furiously.

"Trying to find a way through the earth, are we?"

He looked up at me and barked, then went back to digging.

"It's going to take some time, you know."

For a wardog, Tristan could be funny sometimes. He gave a short bark and kept digging. I set the food down a little bit away from the hole and flying dirt.

"Well have fun with that." I shook my head with a smile.

Before we went to Orzammar, there was the matter of Flemeth. I had told Morrigan I would take care of her problem. I didn't want to involve everyone, so I picked three of my companions to go with me. I motioned for Alistair, Sten, and Wynne to join me at the edge of camp.

"What is it?" Sten asked when we were gathered.

"I need your help on a side mission," I responded.

"This should be good," Alistair said.

"Morrigan discovered how Flemeth had lived for so long."

"She's not immortal, I take it?"

"She's not immortal at all. When her body begins to age and wear down, she raises a daughter and when the time is right, she acquires her body."

"Oh my," Wynne said.

"She what?" Alistair said, shocked. "Are you telling me Flemeth takes over her daughters' bodies?"

"Exactly. As you can expect, Morrigan wasn't too happy about that."

"So we are to do her dirty work for her?" Sten asked.

"What he said," Alistair added.

I gave Alistair a look. "If we don't kill Flemeth, when we defeat the Archdemon and if Morrigan returns to the Wilds, she'll no longer be Morrigan, but Flemeth."

"And you do remember Flemeth saved our lives."

"Yes, I do. And so did Morrigan. Do you want Flemeth to take over Morrigan's body?"

"No, I don't. That is a scary thought."

"So we are doing this to save Morrigan?" Wynne asked.

"Yes and bring her peace of mind," I replied.

"Then let us do this quickly," Sten said.