41: The Deep Roads

Soundtrack:

Glory to the Brave ~ Sprint Music

"I can't believe Bhelen actually tracked this place down," Oghren said once we reached Craidin's Cross. "This used to be one of the biggest crossroads in the old empire. You could get anywhere from here. Including Ortan Thaig."

"So you know where to go from here?" I asked.

"Aye. Branka dug up some maps of the ancient empire. It's a little tough to tell with so much of it collapsed now but near as I can figure we're on the right path to Ortan Thaig."

"What is so important about Ortan Thaig?"

"It's the home of Caridin, the Paragon who made the Anvil. He was an Ortan before he founded his own house and even then he spent most of his time in their thaig. Branka figured it was the best guess for where the Anvil was located."

"Do you know anything else about the Anvil?"

"No one but Caridin ever really knew more than that it had some kind of Stone-blessed power. Every golem who ever ranged across the empire was hammered on the steel of that Anvil but no one ever knew exactly how they were made. But Branka was sure she could find out."

"Then let's go."

"I've been waiting for someone to say that for two sodding years."

We followed the path without any incidents, save a very odd conversation between Oghren and Alistair.

"So, uh, what do you do with her legs?" Oghren asked. What kind of question was that?

"Who's legs?"

"Her legs. That's the problem with Dwarven legs. They're useless as an accessory."

Dear Creators! Who was I feeding to a Darkspawn?

"I didn't do anything with them. I don't know what—"

"Ah, say no more. Just got 'em outta the way and went about your business. Good on you, son."

"Umm, thanks?"

I turned and looked at Oghren.

"What?"

I shook my head and we continued on.

We came upon several dead Darkspawn, which meant someone had been there. Perhaps recently. We took a tunnel. Which had a few Darkspawn and I was able to see Oghren's skill with that axe of his. He let his rage go and it added to his strength. I believed he would be a great ally if he decided to join us. And also made me glad he was on our side. After they were dead, we continued through the tunnel and were surprised by Shrieks that came out of nowhere. Now a Shriek is a tainted creature, a step up from a ghoul, I think. While ghouls retain their original form, Shrieks take on a more grotesque form. It's hard to explain what they look like and I really can't do it justice. But they were easy to kill.

"What the Maker was that?" Zevran asked.

"Shrieks," Alistair said. "Short story is they're tainted and do the bidding of the Darkspawn."

"Let's go before any more show up," I said.

The tunnel lead to another section of the Deep Roads where we were ambushed by Darkspawn. We cut them down and walked down the path towards more waiting. We killed them and went through another tunnel that lead to yet another section of Caridin's Cross.

"This looks like the right way out. It won't be long before we reach Ortan Thaig," Oghren said.