68: Honoring the Dalish

Soundtrack:

King and Lionheart ~ Of Monsters and Men (Realin and Alistair's Theme)

Kiss From a Rose ~ Seal

Keeper Marethari motioned for the two of us to sit. Alistair glanced at me, following my lead. He only knew what I had told him of the Dalish. And I really hadn't gone over etiquette with him.

"I understand from the Hunters that Realin helped you gain your throne."

He glanced over at me again. "That she did. She's been a true friend and great ally. I really don't know what any of us would have done without her. She's saved my life more times than I can count."

"And he's saved mine just as many times," I added, to let Marathari know that I didn't just protect him.

"My point being without Realin, things would have turned out differently, I'm sure. It's because of her that the civil war was ended and the Blight defeated. I've rewarded her personally for it but I wish to extend the honor to her people."

I looked at him, a puzzled look on my face. What was he doing?

"What do you mean?" Marethari asked, just as puzzled.

"I wish to grant land to the Dalish for their part in the siege of Denerim."

I was completely shocked. I also forgot how to breathe for a moment. I was sure my face mirrored Keeper Marethari's.

"You wish... you wish to give the Dalish a... a homeland." Her voice betrayed the same shock I was feeling.

"The Hinterlands north of the Kolcari Wilds including Ostagar will be yours. It's rugged land and there's much to work out. I hope it'll be a first step to our people working together. I believe that one of your Keepers had a dream of peace between mine and the Dalish." Alistair had remembered everything I'd ever told him of the Dalish. Our search for a place to call our own. The reason we wandered. My father's wish for the humans and Dalish to be at peace with one another. I can't even begin to tell you how much his words meant to me. To my people.

"Of course." Emotion colored Keeper Marethari's voice. "I must speak to the other Keepers, but I am sure they would accept your offer just as I do." She reached over and took Alistair's hands and I could see the tears of joy in her eyes. None of us ever expected to live to see this day. I expected the Dalish would continue to wander, holding onto the tale of a homeland as we did our legends and gods. "I cannot thank you enough for this."

"It's the least I could offer your people."

"The Creators smiled upon us when they guided you here."

We stood and went outside. Tristan stood when we came outside and Marithari turned to me.

"I am sure your clan will want to embrace you once more and see that the stories are true."

"There are two I know will want to see me," I said with a smile.

I turned and walked into camp with Tristan at my side. Alistair stayed with Keeper Marethari to discuss, I assumed, the land the Dalish would be receiving.

I was aiming to go see Hahran Paival when I was surprised by someone jumping on my back. There was only one person who would ever do that to me. Well, two but one was dead. I twisted around and we wrestled a moment before I had Merrill pinned to the ground.

"You get me every time!"

I grinned and helped her to her feet.

"I'd heard the others saying you'd come home. I didn't think they were true until I saw you and a Shem talking with the Keeper. My heart sings to see you well."