48: The Lair of the Werewolves

We continued through the ruins. Of course, we had to fight our way through more of the spiders and skeletons. You thought we'd have an easy time of it? Of course not! We finally reached what looked at first to be a dead end.

"Please don't tell me we just did all that and there is no way into their lair," Zevran said.

I approached what looked like a pool. The water was dark. Much darker than the fountains we had seen throughout.

"I know that look, Realin," Alistair said. "And it usually precedes you doing something insane."

I never realized I had a certain look that tipped off what I was about to do. "What if this isn't a dead-end?"

"Please share with the rest of the class," Leliana said.

I pointed at the pool. "What if that is the entrance to their lair?"

"I didn't know Dalish could breathe underwater. How long can any of us hold our breaths?" Alistair said.

"I'll go in. If it's too far then we'll have to find another way in."

"Like I said. Insane." Alistair shook his head.

"Not as insane as what led me down this path to begin with." I took a deep breath, filling my lungs and jumped into the pool, feet first. The water embraced me and I swam down and towards a light. My head broke the surface and I let out my breath. I shook my wet hair from my face and looked around. The pool was hiding a tunnel. I was treading water and I swam forward a bit until my foot touched something solid. I thanked all the Creators that it was the floor and not some water beast. I went back to the others and told them of my discovery.

"Guess she isn't as mad as she looks," Zevran said with a grin.

One by one, I led them to the tunnel. Alistair was the last to swim in. As we followed the tunnel, the water became shallower and shallower, until it barely came to our ankles.

"Look," Leliana said. She pointed at an opening in the ceiling.

"Who's going first?"

"I'll go," I said. "I'll make sure it's clear."

Sten, being the tallest out of us, helped me up and I used his shoulders as a launchpad. I crouched, my belt knife drawn and looked around. Sten sent Tristan to check things out with me.

"Smell or see anything?" I whispered.

Tristan sat and looked at me.

I went back to the tunnel entrance. "It's clear." I replaced my knife and helped the others out as Sten and Alistair helped them up. Sten was the last one out.

We passed through a door and were set upon by several werewolves. We defeated them and went on until we came upon the werewolf that had told the others to fall back and protect the Lady. The three werewolves flanking him went into an offensive pose, ready to attack.

"Stop!" he cried. "Brothers and sisters, be at ease." They slowly eased out of their positions. I motioned for my companions to do the same. "We do not wish any more of our people hurt. I ask you this now, outsider. Are you willing to parley?"

"Like you parleyed with the Dalish?" I asked.

"That was different. The Lady believes that the Dalish have not told you everything, so she has asked that you be brought to her. She means you no harm, provided your willingness to parley in peace is an honest one."

I crossed my arms, suspicious and wary of a trap. "And how do I know I won't be walking into another ambush?" I did not want the curse spread to my companions.