38: Dwarven Politics

The Diamond Quarter was better maintained than the Commons, being more organized and cleaner. The air of the place was that of arrogance as with the nobility and upper class of any city, according to Alistair.

"Raise your voice in support of Lord Harrowmont!" A Dwarf standing near one of the estates cried. "The one true king of Orzammar and our future savior!" A Harrowmont supporter. Or at least someone on his payroll. We went up a flight of stairs; what was with Dwarves and stairs?; and approached another crier.

"Lord Bhelen's impending marriage to a casteless proves his dedication to change! No Dwarf is without worth, he has been heard to say!" And this one seemed to be working for Bhelen.

"So how is it the Dwarves have a king?" Alistair wondered out loud. "I thought they voted on everything or something like that."

I shrugged. "You're asking me?"

Alistair chuckled. "I guess a Dalish wouldn't know, huh?"

"I would think not."

We finally found the Hall of the Assembly. The hall leading to where the Assembly gathered looked like it had been cut directly from the rock of the mountain and not smoothed, like everything else in Orzammar. The walls and ceiling were rough as if the Dwarves had just quarried it. We walked towards a pair of massive doors guarded by a lone Dwarf.

"The Assembly is in session," he said. "Enter quietly if you wish to observe."

Alistair, Wynne, and I went through the doors while the others chose to stay in the hall. All eight of us entering would have been a distraction. The deshyrs were arguing when we entered and stopped at the top of the stairs leading down to the Assembly floor.

"Your mind has gone to dust if you think we would pass such a writ," a blond beardless Dwarf was saying. A beardless Dwarf was an odd sight to be sure. All the ones we'd met so far had beards. "Half our houses would go broke without the surface trade."

"The proposal is only effective until we have a king to ensure we are respected by the surfacers!" A black-haired Dwarf replied.

"Leaving you conveniently positioned to take over all contracts. I'll see your head on a pike first!"

"Deshyrs, lords, and ladies of the Assembly," A silver-haired Dwarf standing in the middle of the floor said, his voice weary. "I've already doubled the guard to prevent violence. Must I summon more?"

"Steward Bandelor," the beardless Dwarf said. "Bhelen's sympathizers are laying our hands with trivialities! They may as well open us to the sky!"

"I suggest we put the matter to a vote," a female Dwarf said.

"And I suggest you have a taste of my family's mace!" the black-haired Dwarf cried.

"Enough!" Bandelor cried. "The Assembly is in recess until the members can regain control of their emotions." He turned and saw us. He motioned us out as he walked towards the stairs we were standing at. We retreated back to the hall as he came closer.

Once we had left the Assembly with Bandelor, the guard shut the doors.

"Stone-forsaken fools and dusters...," Bandelor muttered. "I'm sorry. This is the Assembly of the Clans. Only deshyrs and occasional guests of state are allowed in."

"You don't recognize a Grey Warden?" I asked. Everyone in Orzammar knew we were here by now.

"Forgive me. I am so exhausted. I completely forgot about the message from the gate guard. Welcome to Orzammar, Warden. I hope you can forgive our unrest. The loss of our king has hit us hard. Respect for your role is great but you won't receive a proper hearing until we have a king on the throne."