CH 16: Lies

Chapter 16: Lies (Leigh's POV)

Oliver and I are curled up on the recliner together when I ask, "So what happened that day. What shifted."

"The only thing that happened that day was that I got the shit scared out of me by the Alpha. Jace snuck me into his house for some snacks and then we were going to go play in his room but we got caught." He responds with a small shrug of his shoulders. Like how would that shift his life?

That is the day I saw him. That is the first day I started watching him from afar. Could this mean he's destined to be my mate, since that day? I start to say something to him. I don't know what. Maybe confess everything right then. I want to, but at that same moment, Jace walks in.

"Hey, guys the Alpha... Err my dad wants to have that meeting now. Conference room in five minutes. See ya there." Jace declares before leaving again.

"It starts." Oliver chuckles.

"What starts?" I ask barely above a whisper as I snuggle into his chest.

"I'm officially Beta." He says with a smile. He is so innocently oblivious to what that means. I don't know why but I am all of a sudden more nervous about this meeting. Like it will be a life-changing moment.

Five minutes later we are downstairs in the conference room. In attendance, there is uncle Jamie and aunt Rachel, the former Betas Riley and Glenda Forester, Jace and Liv, and Oliver and I. I go to take a seat on Oliver's lap like Liv is doing on Jace's, but a low growl coming from uncle Jamie directs me to the head seat. It's my meeting so I am to lead it. Fuck, I don't want to do this. I just want to curl up in my bed with Oliver and forget that all this Royal shit needs to be told. Why did I agree to this stupid idea of Jace's anyway?

I take my seat at the head of the table and receive quizzical looks from Liv and Oliver. All while Glenda is staring daggers at me. What a bitch.

I clear my throat before I begin. "Welcome, Luna Liv and Beta Oliver. Being a part of the Silver Crescent Ranks means that you have to be let in on the family secret." Oliver is staring at me very intently as I speak with a tight jaw. "Silver Crescent has always been closely tied with the Royal family. For the past eight generations, the Silver Crescent Alpha has been a descendent of the Royal family. As it is now with Jace as Alpha and as it was with uncle Jamie as the previous Alpha. The Royal line has been thinned out and is sadly contained in just this room."

I stop and take a deep breath before I continue, "Yesterday when you vowed to the Goddess for your Pack, you also tethered yourself to the Royal family. The cup that you drank from not only contained your successor's blood but the last remaining member of the Royal Courts blood too." Liv is looking confused while Oliver continues to stare at me looking like his jaw is about to break.

I have no choice but to rip the band-aid off and make this quick, "There will be an announcement made in about eight weeks. We will announce that the Royal Court is not extinct. That, someone, did survive the massacre that happened right here. That the rightful heir to the throne survived the attack on the Royal Court. On my eighteenth birthday, I will be announced as your Queen." Oliver's face falls. Whatever he is expecting was not this. Liv lets out an audible gasp.

Before anyone else can speak Oliver's face turns up into an evil smile. "So you have been lying to us the whole time. I should have known. All of you knew and let me... SCREW YOU ALL." He growls before throwing his chair at the wall and then running from the room. He shifts before he is even out of the house into a deep red colored wolf, that is Lucky.

"Well, that went over well." Glenda cackles from her seat.

I just growl at her. I look back at uncle Jamie who gives me the smallest nod before I take off after Oliver.