CH 24: Shattered

Chapter 24: Shattered (Oliver's POV)

That was by far the best sleep I can remember ever having. I wake up surrounded by the scent of my mate. Damn it. This headache shit is getting really old. I roll over reaching out for her but all I find is a cold bed and I groan. She left me. I bury my face into the bed where she slept and inhale deeply. Last night felt so good. Just to lose myself in her scent. I didn't think last night. I just enjoyed the feel of her.

I find myself twisting and rolling in her scent. Like Lucky would have had he been present. This one's for you man. Also effectively marking our scent in her bed.

I hear a chuckle come from the door. I look up to see Jace trying to hide his smile with a scowl. "I see you made your way into her bed again. This time try not to almost get me killed because you're being an asshole."

"Hey, Ummm... you know I don't remember doing that right."

"Doesn't change the fact that you did it." He tells me leaning against the doorframe. I see Damon appear for just a fraction of a second.

"Sooo... Whatcha doing here." I say trying to move on.

"My Queen sent me to babysit you while she is in school. We will be taking turns to stay with you until your cracked skull has healed. "

"No one needs to baby..." Jace interrupts me.

"She is worried about you. If it gives her some peace then I will be here. No matter how much I want to stab you." He says while backing out of the room. I get up returning to the guest room to get dressed. I'm not ready to lose her scent on me so I opt-out from showering just yet.

I find Jace on the couch watching ESPN. "So do we have to stay here? I'm hungry and I have something else I want to do."

"I guess we can go eat and it depends on the other activity. If you plan on doing anything stupid... Please don't do anything that is going to cause Jade to come out." He asks with a pained look on his face. He is really terrified of Jade.

"Jade is a feisty one. Mmmm... She is kind of hot when she is pissed though." I tell him laughing.

"Your mate, not mine man." I try to nod but can't. "If you can keep that crazy bitch tamed I may forgive you one day."

"Sweet, life goals. Tame the wild Jade. Let me get Lucky back and we will do our best to keep her off your ass." I tell him with a chuckle.

I see a ghost of a smile cross his face. "Let go get something to eat," Jace says while punching me in the arm. I guess he has to reframe from his normal smacks against the back of my head.

We grab a quick bite to eat before I give him directions to my destination. He approves of my activity and even willingly fields off questions as to where we are at from both his mate and mine. It almost felt like old times, but we were both better men now. No longer fuck boys but taken men.

It takes us hours to finish and now both girls are pissed at us. Jace just shrugged saying he knows what to do to put Liv into a better mood.

"Ewww... Man, that's my twin sister."

"She definitely came out with the better looks and how do you think she got pregnant bro." He says playfully as we enter the Wolfe house. "Come on, follow me. I will show you how to keep your pregnant mate happy."

I wish. The pain from that thought alone makes my knees buckle. Jace turns and his face is white. "Dude really. You are going to get me killed today. You okay?" He asks no longer playful but concerned

"No just not a good idea for me to... to think about things like that. I can think and do the things that would lead to pups but I can't think about her actually carrying them. I can't think about a future with her. I can't think of her as mine." I drop to my knees pushing through the pain. I need to vent. I need someone to understand exactly how fucked up this is. I need my friend.