Chapter 7

Flashback
4 years ago

I'm sitting across P'Mew and Eye.

I first met Eye when I visited P'Mew when he was in college.
I don't want to sound like a b*tch but everytime I try to confess my feelings to P'Mew, she's always there.

Just like now.

But this time, the aura around them is different.

Wait? Are they--? Oh God, No. Please, Please, Please. This is not what I envisioned this night would be.

P'Mew cleared his throat.

I think I know what he's about to say. Stay strong, Gulf. Don't cry. Do not f*cking cry.

"Gulf, I want to tell you something." P'Mew looked at Eye and smiled.

F*ck!

"Eye and I are dating." P'Mew smiled.

I am fighting back my tears.

"WOW! Well, that's great! Since when?"

"Uhm, we talked about it last month but we decided to be official yesterday. I just want you to be the first person to know." P'Mew looked me at me, I can feel that he's looking for approval.

"I'm happy for you, Phi! Eye, take care of him okay?"

"Of course, I will.  I love him.  I'll do my best to take care of him." Eye smiled.

I love him, too. I love him very much.

"Oh, you told me earlier that you're going to tell me something." P'Mew said 

I'm holding the small box in my pocket while I said, "I forgot, Phi. Maybe next time. Let's finish eating. I'm kind of tired today."

"Okay. Let's finish so you can rest, Doctor" P'Mew said teasingly. 

--

While I hear them talking to each other. I feel my heart hurt. Then, I started having a hard time breathing.

I need to leave. 

I sent Mild a quick text.

To Mild:
Help me. Go to the restaurant. I need to leave. Please.

After a minute, he replied.

To Gulf:
I'm on my way. Give me 10 minutes.

After 5 minutes, I put don't my utensils and looked at the 2 of them who seemed to forget that I was even here.

"Uhm, guys. There's an emergency at the hospital. I need to leave."

"Alright.  Wait, are you okay? You look pale." Eye said.

"I'm good. I just-- I just need to leave."

"You rode a cab, right? We'll drive you there." P'Mew said.

"It's fine, Phi. Mild is already here. Now, I really have to leave. Take care and again, congratulations to the both of you."

I smiled. I know there's a hint of tears in my eyes so I left right away and saw Mild right away when I got out of the restaurant. 

"Oh sh*t… I'm not gonna ask what happened,  you'll tell me anyway. So, where will we go?" Mild asked.

"To my condo. Let's drink this night away."

--

"Well, sh*t. I feel sorry for you, bro" Mild said.

I told him what happened in full detail.

This is the thing about one-sided love. It feels so good at the start but once you have to let go, it'll hurt like hell.

"I guess I don't have a choice but to move on, right? I mean, while I was busy planning my confession, he was already talking to Eye about going official."

I opened another can of beer and drank it at one go.

"He wants to stay together for a long time and he ended up falling in love with somebody else. I feel cheated, Mild. I waited for 13 years and I was still too late." 

Fresh tears start falling from my eyes.

"Forget him. Move on, Gulf. You need to move forward." He looked around my condo.

He stood up, went to the kitchen and gave a small box to me.

"Everything that reminds you of him, put it here. Then throw it or burn it. Maybe, that'll help you forget."

There's no harm in trying, right?

So, I got up. Gathered all the things that reminded me of him. I took out all the movie and concert tickets in my wallet. I took all the letters I wrote for him inside the bedside drawer. I've put the keychains, polaroid pictures, dried petals of flowers I received in my graduation. The last thing I put inside is this small box with the bracelet and letter inside. I sighed and closed the box.

"Now burn it." Mild said.

I looked at the box for a minute.

"Nah, I'll do it tomorrow. I'm tired. Let's sleep. We have to work tomorrow. Don't go home. Sleep on the sofa. I'll go to bed now. Goodnight, Mild. Thank you, really. You saved me from dying today."

"Anything for you, bestie. Goodnight."

I carried the box and went inside my room.

I put the box inside my closet then went to bed to sleep the heart ache away.

Move forward, Gulf. You don't have time to break down.  You'll be saving lives tomorrow. You don't have time to dwell on your heartache. 

*end of flashback*

--

In the end, I wasn't able to burn all our memories together. I still continued to love you, Phi. After all of these, I really don't think I'll be able to love again.

I put this box inside my luggage and resumed packing my stuff.

I'm almost done when I heard my phone rang.

It's Eye.

"Hello, Eye?"

"Hi Gulf. Let's meet. I want to talk to you."

--

A/N: I read the comments and I just want to thank you guys for your kind words.

See you in the next chapter :)