Chapter 37

Ellie P.O.V 

It was quiet on the way to my house. Neither one of us said anything and if I am being honest I don't mind the silence. It gives me time to think about what I've been through the past 36 hours. I found out I had a sister that my parents didn't tell me about, I went to Miranda to help me get control over my wolf, who I still can't talk to at the moment because of how weak she's become, telling my parents that I want to reject my mate and indirectly admitting that I want to start new with Jacob. Wow, what a rush. 

We passed some border guards on duty tonight in case of Kyle plans to surprise us while we were asleep or if my dear sister was a trap and the path to the waterfall that Jacob and I always go to. This reminds me, we stopped training. After everything, I only just realized that Alec stopped being with Jacob. I quickly minded-linked Alec to meet Jacob at my house outside my door. We made a left turn into my neighborhood. The street lights were on and so were the lights in the neighbor's houses. It's not that late anyways so everyone is up. Slowly my house came into the view. The only house that has no light and looks as if no one has lived in there for decades. 

No surprise there since I am barely at my house. Now I'm wondering why did I ever move out. It seems like a great idea at the time. My mate rejected me and I wanted to be left alone instead of always having those guards that Alpha Brian assigned to me 24/7. He thought I never knew that they were there but I did. I just didn't say anything to make them happy. But I just wanted to have peace. At first, it was great. I had time to think and to be alone for a while. Even though neighbors would come every once in a while to say hi and check up on me, my bad temper drove them away. They never knocked on my door again and I never made the move to make it right or apologize because I thought that if I apologized then the same thing would happen again and they would eventually stop coming on their own. 

It just made sense to push people away or keep them at arm's length because if they were any closer then I risk my heart again and I wasn't going to let that happen. But 2 years after the rejection I tried again. I let someone in and he cheated on me at the same club where we decided to try to make things out. Christian broke my heart a second time. I didn't love him but he was the second male in my life to let me down. I knew it wasn't meant to be with him because we brought out the worse in each other but at the moment, it made sense to stay with him. I wanted some kind of stability in my life. I craved it, and that made me vulnerable to hurt again. 

That was the second strike and I vowed never to let anyone in again. And yet here I am, thinking to do it all over again with Jacob. Does that make me stupid for wanting to try again a third time? Or does it make me brave to not give up on love no matter what I've been through? Is it worth risking my heart for again?  I guess I wouldn't know yet. 

I didn't realize it before but now we are on my driveway approaching my front door. I took out my keys from my jacket pocket and opened the door. Once in, I searched for the light switch and turned it on which wasn't hard because we have night vision. I took my shoes off and threw my keys on the island top once we arrived in the kitchen. Jacob stopped at the entrance of the kitchen, still not saying a word. I grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge because I realized that I have not hydrated myself all day. Once I took it out I leaned on the kitchen counter taking a large sip of my water. 

"Are you going to stand there all night or are you gonna say something?" I asked him after I put my water down on the counter behind me. He didn't say anything at first. He was just looking at me as if he was trying to figure something out. I cleaned off the counter and folded my arms across my chest. "Jacob," that seem to put him out of the trance that he was in because his eyes finally caught mine. His ocean blue suddenly brought me back to the time we first kissed in the forest. He was doubting himself of being the Alpha of the pack. Eventually, it led to us talking about our mates, and at that moment we felt like we understand each other.